Fast hybrid opinions ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all

I am gathering people thoughts on fast hybrids along the lines of Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape etc.

I am not looking for something to replace my roadbike, but am looking for something which is comfortable, light and able to hold its own on long 50/60 mile fitness rides with my fellow riders, some of which will be riding roadbikes.

Terain will largely be road, some gentle towpaths with the kids at the weekend so traditional road tyres are out.

Also, what are peoples opinions on what’s best having a light bike with gears not suited for hills, or a heavier bike with hill taming gears ?

Cheap, light, rigid MTB - between 9 & 18 gears, disc brakes (for your own safety!!)

Semi-slick tyres capable of higher pressures (on road, you're only riding on the middle anyway, so your contact patch between a 28C tyre and a 2" tyre is negligable!), that way the edges can grab gravel/mud, you're probably not hitting enough lean angles to lose grip on/off-road and, well, UK roads are 50% potholes, so why risk spinal damage by riding 23C's?

Somebody else was recently looking for similar - thinking of basing a build around a Giant XTC or similar. I myself have a slick-shod Cadex CFM and an Alu Raleigh MTB, one 9-Sp and the other 18-Sp built for the £600-700 mark and neither weighing above 11kg (24.5 Lb)..

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... sub-10-xs/

Low maintenance, internal hub, discs, belt drive and eccentric BB, under 900 squids.

Keep telling myself .....
orig-21209144.jpg

The problem with these bikes is that the lack of choice of hand positions gets wearing over longer distances. They always seem to me to be beginner's bikes for gym-users who want to cycle with something sporty looking.
If you are mixing it on tracks then what about a tourer or CX bike?

I had a look at a specialized sirrus a few years back. They are a really nice machine!! Also consider the Scott sportster range, again they are cracking bikes too.
One thing you do need to bare in mind is some hybrids are more aimed towards comfort where as others are more aimed at speed. Worth thinking about that when you decide which one to get.

Re:

The Sirrus is on my shortlist.

Comfort is a big factor in my choice, i just cant get comfortable on my roadbike and the roads are not roadbike friendly, but i wanted something that could travel at a decent speed when needed

I am no roadie but absolutely love my kona jake cx bike. With a comfy seat you would be sorted and able to tick all of your boxes. Fast enough to almost be a road bike, tough and grippy enough for all but the most extreme trail riffing. Perfect for bridleways etc.

c500d26ec4d1b8659d266a7aee928025_zps6418f854.jpg

Back