Hi All! New here. An introduction and a question.

Issysdad

Retro Newbie
Evening all.

I've just got back into this hobby. Having a four year old daughter and getting her a new bike, I felt a little left out walking next to her.

So I did what any sensible, grossly overweight and massively unfit 30 year old does and decided to relive my teenage dreams. I bought the bike of my dreams!

A Martin Hawyes Giant Team Trials. I was in love..... Until I rode it.... When did cycling and trials become so tiring and difficult?! when did seats become so uncomfortable?! What is it they say about never meeting your heroes?

Anyway, starting to get back into it now and after a couple of close calls I have decided that I should leave the trials stuff now and look towards a tiny bit more comfort.

My question is, would 100mm travel suspension be ok on this frame? I love the bike and it's been set up to period spec so I wouldn't want to stress the immaculate frame should I want to sell it in the future.

Many Thanks.

Darren

Re:

Hi Darren,

Is it like this?:

file.php

If so, trials bike's aren't really built for comfort or distance riding and I wouldn't imagine that a set of suspension forks would help much; they may actually make the steering/handling a bit funny if the frame isn't designed for suspension forks and it doesn't look as though it is. :?

Re:

You could fit some 100mm suspension forks to it, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. It's likely to make the bike handle rather oddly, Plus if you have made the bike mainly period correct then it seems a shame to spoil it with suspension.
I know this is the bike of your dreams, and you may not want to hear this but you would probably be better off with a different bike if you actually want to do any cycling. Trials bikes are meant for doing trails, so they're not exactly designed for comfort, something more xc or trail bike orientated would be a better bet, and you can always keep the Giant for when you fancy throwing yourself off the garage roof ;)

Re:

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, it's that bike. I could never afford one when they were released, but thought I'd treat myself for my 30th.

I used to be good at trials back in 2001 (the last time I rode a bike seroiusly!) Then in 2004 decided to try and get in dual slalom. Built a DDG Shooter combat issue, spent a shed load only to have the bike stolen from my shed three days later. I honestly thought muscle memory would kick in and I'd be back hopping up walls in no time!

At the minute, handling isn't too much of an issue as I'm riding with my daughter who is still relying on stabilisers. Just bought a more comfortable seat (Giant branded so it doesn't look out of place.)

Thanks for the advice. As much as I wanted this bike for its nostalgia I also think that once Issy can ride without stabilisers I will need to change!

Re:

Don't put 100mm forks on the giant will ride sh-t they were never ment to have susspention forks on and would prob cause it to handle and feel weird

U also got to consider that if it's a trials frame it's poss running very small front ring so swapping out that might mean new bb / cranks

Personally buy from here an older kona (80-150 quid and enjoy that on the rides and treasure the giant as there epic

If u do decide to split frame and fork never sell the forks !!!

Re:

Thank for the help guys.

This bike, as far as I'm concerned, is a keeper. I'm on the lookout for another old Giant now as for some unknown reason I really like the older Giant frames.

However, S.W.M.B.O may have other ideas about me buying another bike after splashing out a not insignificant amount on this one!

Anybody want to swap an ATX 1?!! Another impractical bike!

There's some cheap giant frames on eBay atm bout 18inches round the 70-120 quid price if that's any help

Atx1 for everyday riding that's commitment lol

ba57ards":1zq1fzof said:
There's some cheap giant frames on eBay atm bout 18inches round the 70-120 quid price if that's any help

Atx1 for everyday riding that's commitment lol

Stupidity more like! I'm definitely a looks over function kinda guy!

I'm looking on there as we speak!

Re:

Lol stupidity welcome to retro bikes

Where one bike is sensible but loads of bikes is the norm

Will go see what I can find and list here for u

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back