Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi fellow retro friends ;)

Bought a pair of my favourite tyres recently from a fellow retrohead , but in red and dual compound as opposed to the black that I always get . Thought they'd go well on the bike ,

So far , so good .
Did a 3hr blast on Sunday , then around 3 1/2hrs on Wedneday evening . Washing the bike for another ride on Thursday evening , I noticed this .

S'pose that's that's the price you pay for riding on the South Downs , chalky and flinty terrain that it is .
Did the ride , along some lovely twisty, technical , rooty singletrack . During the ride , while I was waiting for the rest of the group , I noticed the knobblies were starting to break off :shock:
Here's a picture of one of several parts of the tyre when I'd finished the ride ,

Has anyone else had similar experiences with these tyres ? The normal black ones I use are great , cope with all the xc I can muster .

Mike

Attachments

• PS Paola.jpg
    PS Paola.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Fcuked frie 2.jpg
    Fcuked frie 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Fcuked Fire.jpg
    Fcuked Fire.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,152
Re: Panaracer Fire , fcuked !

thats not good, wonder if its because of the different colour layers stopped it bonding correctly causing it to delaminate.

Re:

There are parts of the tyre where you can see the casing .
Pleased I didn't put them on the Sunn mate ;)
Did the same ride on this bike , as on the Sunn last week , except the route was the other way around. Have to say , despite the suspension , I preffered the ride the Sunn gave .

Mike

they do ride well dont they. really pleased with mine at the mo. i know a few peeps that swear by those fires tho will ask them if they have ever suffered the same.

Re:

I do have the black ones on the Sunn . 2.1s . Usually prefer 1.8s but that was all I had spare . Folding ones , the wire beaded ones can be a pig to get on the rims , my face goes :oops: !

:LOL: :LOL:

Mike

I have ridden the south downs way in different places and different times and not had any tyre damage.

Looking at the separation around the knobblies indicates to me either the rubber has aged or a low budget tyres, which I am not aware these are.

I would conclude these are not new tyres, hopefully you have not paid too much for them, and/or can negotiate some sort of refund from the seller.

.... similar colour scheme to mine (originally had yellow forks and yellow rims)

Attachments

• DSC07177.JPG
    DSC07177.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,086
Re:

Been riding those tires for years and never seen anything like that. Used in very rocky and rooty terrain. Sorry for your luck on those mate.

Re:

Looks like the tyre have perished, looking at the side knobbles they are cracking around them. Just old tyres to me at the end of life.

I like the look though they make it look sporty compared to the black only. Balance the colour well too.

Re:

TBH they were pretty cheap as I got them with other bits . Never have trouble with these normally . Did look pretty new when I got them . But a bit unnerving riding along , took it a bit easier on the right handers ! :facepalm: :LOL:
May get some more red ones then . Ebay here I come !

Mike

Re:

Hi Mike,
I have a pair you could have for the cost of postage.
Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Back