slack hardtail recommendations? 650 or 29er

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just sold my 2011 Saracen Zen. Really liked the bike but after throwing my leg over my mates Whyte 901, really noticed how much slacker and nicer riding it was. The zen was also due some upgrades and repalcements soon so I cashed in whilst It was still valuable.

So i'm tempted to get a 650b whyte...

Orange crush looks tempting...

Any others? On one 45650b seems heavy, new £900 ragley in a few months looks good too

Cant really decide. My budget is £1000 max, and I ride normal trails. Im no XC rider and prefer the slacker angled bikes hence my old saracen zen.

Re:

2nd reply to my own thread!!

Checking out the whyte tomorrow. Tried my friend's again and its a riot.

Been looking at birds but put off by the lack of local demo's and a few iffy reviews.

Parkwood still tempting me though...

Anyone think of any others? Never spent this much on a bike, terrified I'm missing something obvious!

Re:

How much are those stooge cycles 29'ers going for? Or the Stanton whatever the 29'er is called?

Stooge are £450 - a great deal if you ask me. I worry on sizing though - they only have one and whilst they say you can use layback posts etc to get it to fit, i'm 6 1-2 with long legs and wouldn't want to risk sizing issues.

Stanton frames are coming in around £500 as well, and again, I appreciate they are long top tubed for bigger sizes, but the sizes for the switchback is only 18" which makes me worry a little.

Re:

27.5 Soul? Singular Buzzard, on special just now too. Stooge is a really nice bike. Privee Shan is a rather nice looking and super slack bike.

On-One Parkwood, got a great review in What Mountain Bike, complete bike with very nice components £1000 or frame only for £199.

A lot of this depends on the frame size you require. Not all manufacturers are good at maintaining a models behaviour and feel as they scale the design up for different frame sizes, so if I told you my Avenger Dagger SLX was a great bike you might find it totally different by the time the dimensions have been compacted to fit you.

Go try a few for yourself, starting with the Whyte.

Back