Help! New brakes don't fit

grogee

Retro Guru
I bought some Shimano calipers and levers, good value at £75ish I thought.

Anyway I've gone to put them on my Stumpy FSR (which used to have Avid Juicys on) and the pads don't seem to line up with the discs. The pads sit about 5-10mm outboard of where they should sit relative to the disc surface.

What do I need to correct this - new mounting adaptors, new discs? Can someone tell me the bits I need to buy to get them to line up?

The discs are still the original Avid items - 185mm at the front and 160mm at the rear. I was hoping I could use them again as there's nothing wrong with them really.

What's the cheapest way to fix!

Attachments

• 20140725_112803.jpg
    20140725_112803.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 696
  • 20140725_112810.jpg
    20140725_112810.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 696
  • 20140725_112836.jpg
    20140725_112836.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 20140725_112843.jpg
    20140725_112843.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 696
Take those spacers out between the caliper and the post mount adapter. That will drop the pads further down the rotor. Is that what you mean?

I forgot to mention that... they're not spacers, they're spherical washers that allow the caliper to be aligned to the disc. I'd rather not lose them unless they're not required...

They aren't required. You only need the side to side movement of the actual caliper against the post mount adapter. Avid use those things to fiddle about with the angles and stuff but on a normal caliper they just aren't required. I run Hopes and the caliper goes straight on the adapter, no fannying around. I have a set of Avids on another bike that have those but I have used Hayes, Hope and fettled some Shimanos and never had to use the spherical washers.

Re:

Bert - thanks, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I'll give it a go without the spacers next. I might even get the grinder out if they still don't fit...

Rampage - fine, but which adaptors would/should I need?

Re:

The surface needs to be very flat, you'd be lucky or very skilfull to do it with a hand grinder.

Adaptor size depends on rotor size / caliper I believe. So if it's a shimano caliper, buy the correct Shimano IS or PM adaptor for that rotor size.

Best to check with your local shop though as I rarely use disc brakes.

BertR00t":2lp5bgtn said:
They aren't required. You only need the side to side movement of the actual caliper against the post mount adapter. Avid use those things to fiddle about with the angles and stuff but on a normal caliper they just aren't required. I run Hopes and the caliper goes straight on the adapter, no fannying around. I have a set of Avids on another bike that have those but I have used Hayes, Hope and fettled some Shimanos and never had to use the spherical washers.

+1
the wobbly washers are not required. They're for Avid only.

Re:

suburbanreuben":3rdkq9qp said:
BertR00t":3rdkq9qp said:

+1
the wobbly washers are not required. They're for Avid only.

+2 - no needio butt! :)

Not just now, but at some point in the future this thread will have saved me a major faff, cheers all! :LOL:

Back