Help wanted. Pedal system advice.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi there,
I have had a few years off after an injury, and am getting back in the saddle again.

A problem I have always had is short & wedge shaped feet, a very high instep.
As a result I usually wear size 10's even though my actual foot size is about 8 1/2.
This results in the cleat on most shoes being too far forward. With SPD (old MTB) or Look Arc (mid 90's) it used to be manageable but now it feels like I am pedalling on my tip toes.

What road pedal system can you recommend with the largest range of adjustment placing my foot as far forward as possible please.
Alternatively what road shoes are the 'baggiest'?

For MTB I am happy to ride flatties & hiking boots but prefer clippies for the road.

Thanks in advance! :)

I ride off road with SPDs. If your skills are sufficiently developed its huge boon. I also use MTB spuds on road bikes,albeit with touring shoes, as only 2 of my 8 bikes are roadies and I want complete compatibility between pedals and shoes. Screw what anyone else thinks.

The basic SPD system hasn't changed since its inception, so if it worked for you back in the day you should be fine.

Re:

I am fine with SPD off road, and BITD before I could afford SPD I rode Look ARC off road which is a bit committed!

The problem is with pedal placement.
I need the axle as far back as possible please.

Looking around Shimano's shoes are available on wide so this would be good.

Re:

For road pedals try Shimano SPD-SL system
And as mentioned above, Shimano shoes are available in a wide (W) fitting, which is useful.

Speed play actually come with an extender to increase the rearward offset of the pedal. Extra 12mm I think. You'd have to check on the speed play website.

They also come up on ebay fairly often (as new is expensive)

Re:

Sidi Disco slippers are available in wide fittings as are Lake shoes.
I was born with feet like flippers and over the years they've got wider, and even wider still on the left due to a bunion, but my summer Sidis are wide enough and dead comfy! My winter boots are Lake wide fitting,and if anything are too wide! They do wide fitting in most of their shoes.If you have the money they do a Pittards Leather model. rrrr!

Back