What are people's views on buying 2nd hand carbon handlebars

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, I'd really like a set of Easton haven carbon bars for my 575, I'm just wondering if it's ok to buy 2nd hand carbon bars since I don't know the history of them ( crashes and what not) would it be ok or best to save my dosh and go brand new? Cheers Rob

Re:

They should be fine, barring any visible external damage....

(I'll get my coat :oops: )

Seriously though, this is Retrobike, people ride about on ancient carbon or aluminium bikes and use carbon or aluminium bars all the time.
Unless you buy steel bars then eventually they will fatigue and break, though maybe not in your lifetime.

Just check them over for any damage, especially the ends, and check to see that there are no signs of stem clamps being overtightened and crushing the bar in the centre.

If you have the £££ then you may as well buy new, for a nice shiny product and peace of mind.

Thanks for getting back to me, there is clamp marks on them and the usual crappy easton decal rub from controls but apart from that they look ok, they're on eBay so would be covered too. On the other hand I could just hold on a few months and save for a new pair, I don't know I'll have a think.

difficult to know if they are genuine or fake if secondhand - having possibly bought the later, I would stick to buying new from reputable dealer from now on

Re:

I've bought and sold and ridden quite a few pairs of second hand carbon bars and I'm still here. I'm fairly cautious too - I binned a bar after a crash even though I couldn't see anything really wrong with it.

That said, if you can afford in a few weeks to buy new, then that 's probably the way forward - especially if you're looking at Havens which are aimed at being given (and taking) abuse. I bought a Haven bar from Merlin for about £70 a year ago - not sure if they still have their deals on.

Re:

As long as not overly knackered, probably a safe way to go. Have had a few used sets with 0 issues, besides cosmetics on some. Just like a carbon frame, Do you hesitate to have it or go for it and shred the gnar with it. I say shred away :LOL:

Look at them very carefully - any signs of crushing or splitting them bin them. The two pairs I have bought on this site have been fine.

The ones I'm looking at are on eBay so I guess I'd be covered by paypal. They do look ok though, just clamp marks.

Back