Chris King Angry Bee

shutter

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey... so... I'm building up a rear wheel and just learned about the cool angry bee sound...

Which CK rear hubs make this sound? Does the classic one do it? How do I know for sure when buying online?

My bike has V-Brakes so I think I would like the one with no disc mounts... so classic I think?

help please =)

thanks!

Re:

I think they all make the distinctive sound don't they?
I've had a few and they all sounded the same.
"Angry c bee" lol, yes it's a different sound to say a very "clicky" Hope hub, something about more teeth/pawls that make the "Brrrr...." Sound, quite distinctive, but not a reason I'd choose a CK hub for, quality, maintainability and longevity, yes.

Re: Re:

jimo746":238osj69 said:
I think they all make the distinctive sound don't they?
I've had a few and they all sounded the same.
"Angry c bee" lol, yes it's a different sound to say a very "clicky" Hope hub, something about more teeth/pawls that make the "Brrrr...." Sound, quite distinctive, but not a reason I'd choose a CK hub for, quality, maintainability and longevity, yes.

Thanks! Ideally I would like a rear red atak hub to match my front but they are quite rare... In the meantime I figured why not get a readily available red ck hub? Good enough match =)

It would be great to hear others confirm this... Is this sound distinctive to all rear ck hubs? Or only certain models? I would like to get confirmation from some other users before I consider the purchase of one

Thx!

Re:

Just buy the Chris King hub already!! :LOL: you won't regret it.
They use a Ringdrive system, 72 pawls, hence the buzz sound.
Think the oldest CK hub I had was a Disco Tech or something, pre-6 bolt disc hub as it had an adaptor to run discs, probably early to mid 2000's, and that had the same Ringdrive system as the modern CK Iso hubs.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/chris-king-- ... -2014.html

Re:

yes i think they all sound the same, funnily enough it's that noise that puts me off buying them, i use Hope for most of my modern bikes, i have a DT on another but the bearings have been really poor, servicing twice as often as hope on half the miles! i also use Royce, they sound nicely quiet and muted by comparison with hope and king.

They should all the sound the same but can be a little different depending on what lube you use for the ringdrive. Chris King sells their own special ring drive lube, if you use a lighter oil it will be louder.

Back