Which one ??? (Help please)

RussUK

Retro Newbie
Well my 25+ year old mountain bike has seen better days, so now I'm looking to replace it with a hybrid bike as it will only be used on roads & cycle paths. I'm thinking of treating myself to a new Cannondale - either a Quick CX2 or a Bad Boy 29er (no real reason why, just like the look of the pictures lol). Not got a local dealer anywhere near me so will have to make an online order and not really got anyone to ask for the best advice. I'm 5' 9" & 32" inside leg, so from what I've read I'll need a medium size frame.
After this I'm lost on trying to decide which is best for what I want & even more lost on the specs of the various parts - which is supposed to have the better chainset / brakes etc... ?

Has anyone got any advice or useful information (or any other selections) ?

Thanks for reading :)

Re:

The CX has a marginally better spec and will feel lighter and more nimble than the Bad Boy. As much as I like Cannondale's there spec often leave a lot to be desired I personally would want full Deore or similar if I was spending £800 on a hybrid. Personally I would go for this bike from Evans http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec054765

Re:

I've had both a Badboy 29er and a Quick (mine was a CX1). The Badboy is very poorly specced for the money you pay (£800 and you get Alivio shifters, Alivio rear mech and Acera front mech!) . You really are just paying for the badge and the frame which is arguably better made than offerings by other manufacturers.

The Quick CX1 was a lovely machine. It was better specced than the Badboy and felt more nimble too (although that could have been because my Badboy was a large and the Quick was a medium).

My advice. If you have your heart set on a Cannondale, then I'd probably go for the Badboy purely on looks, but bear in mind that you'd be getting a lot less for your money than if you went for something along the lines of a Boardman, for example.

Thanks for your replies :) - think I will have to do some travelling to find a dealer with them in stock. I live on the North Wales coast, but none of the closer dealers have got them in stock & it looks like there are no more CX2 available in stock for them.
Maybe I will have to start looking at a few other makes - so any other suggestions are welcome.

Update for anyone interested - I had a 220 mile round trip to Drakes Cycles in Leeds. Very helpful staff there & they had both choices in stock and they were still assembling them for me when I got there. Came home with a nice new Quick CX2

Very nice bike to be fair and a nice platform for future upgrades if you wish.

Back