Marin hanger

timerider

Retro Newbie
Hoping someone can help me here! i`ve bought a Marin mount vision frame (2001), but unfortunately it came without a mech hanger, after a lot of searching i managed to get a hanger to fit, but i don`t know how it fixes to the frame having never seen the original one fitted! is there meant to be a backing plate or something on the inside face of the drop-out to screw the 3 bolts into? as neither the hanger nor the frame are threaded! any advice, info or photos would be greatly appreciated

Re:

Does the part of hanger with the 3 holes fit into slot in swing arm?
If so, it should be the same as the earlier frames I have, which have a sort of semi-circular/crescent shaped backing plate on inside of drop out with threaded holes for the bolts.

Re:

Yeah that`s it! I bought the frame without the hanger on, i`ve managed to get a hanger, but locating a backing plate and the correct size bolts has proven impossible so far! :( I`ve sent a few e-mails to Marin about it but they still haven`t got back to me (been a couple of weeks now) :( I was hoping someone on here would have some kind of idea where to buy them from? I`m thinking i might have to have a backing plate made to fit, and then alter the frame to take larger headed bolts, as the only bolts i can find look like the countersunk head will be way to big to sit flush in the outer face of the frame.
Would be handy if i could find someone with a knackered frame, willing to sell the plate and 3 bolts.
Thanks for the reply by the way! :)

Re: Re:

timerider":28ap501n said:
Thanks Hamster, i`ve got the hanger from Pilo, just need the backing plate and correct fixing bolts.

If you can post a pic of the swing arm...I may have a spare that would solve your issues!

Doug

Re:

Thanks Doug, sorry for the delay in replying, been away. Got the backing plate sorted, made a template and got one made to fit, works spot on :) only thing i`m stuck on now is a rear brake mount to fit disc brakes to her, proving harder to find than the backing plate unfortunately :(

Re:

You mean one like this?

file.php

For this type of swing-arm with it fitted.

file.php

Big eck, one of my fellow MacRetroBikers made this one

IMG_1963.jpg

I'm in the process of trying to make one but stalled at the moment as I don't want the caliper (a Shimano post mount) to be hanging off the back like on the Marin one.
The inserts needed for swing-arm mounting holes (instead of using big bolts that Marin adapter uses) are the same thread as rim/v-brake studs, just cut off the v-brake mount part so it is flush with mount on swing-arm and then mount the adapter with the v-brake fixing type bolts as there is an internal thread. Although on the studs I have that thread doesn't go all the way through so will have to run tap through them.

Mine`s different to that one i`m afraid, it looks like the IS fitting but the hole centres are either 38mm or 39mm. I think it`s the same swinging arm as the riftzone of the same year

Back