Freehub problems I think??

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, I'm hoping you folk maybe able to help me out before I go looking for a new rear wheel. I've just been out on my bike and it seems to be skipping and jumping, the gears all work well, they shift nicely, it just seems to be when the cranks are under load like when accelerating or going up hill, I can pedal lightly and it seems to stop, my thought is that the freehub is on it's way out?

If I could get some opinions on this it would be great. Cheers Rob

Re:

Sounds like a new chain skipping on old chainrings to me...

Can you get a good photo of the teeth?

Elpedro, you could be right, the middle ring looks quite warn, just waiting on photos uploading to photo bucket now. Pics up shortly

It skips on all the chain rings but the chain doesn't jump, it's just a cheap rear wheel it has with none branded hub, this still leads me to believe it's the hub, next I'll put another rear wheel in.

If it's not actually slipping, I'd suspect that the chainrings are holding on to the chain at the bottom and pulling it up towards the chainstay - does the rear mech jump as it happens?

Trying a different wheel is definitely a good idea.

Also, probably a silly question, but is it a narrow 9sp chain?

Ah right, no the rear mech is spot on and doesn't jump. Yes the chain is a narrow 9 speed one. Best thing to do like I said I'll change the wheel and if if that makes a difference, if it is the rings, which rings will work with specialized strong arm cranks?

Back