Gusset Woodstock 853 cranks question

Skynet

Senior Retro Guru
Thought I'd post here rather than pre '98. I've seen the cranks before but know nothing about bmx type bottom brackets. I have a '97 853 Kona Hot I'm just about to build up, so 68mm bottom bracket, and was going to build it as a 1x10. Thought black chrome Woodstock cranks would look nice and retro plus they're also 853 and a bit different, but I've no idea if it would work.

Going from their site I'm presuming I'd get the cranks, Woodstock MX offset 104bcd spider, Pigmy ti axle & bolts and MXR Euro BB then a narrow wide ring from whoever. But the axle is 140mm which seems very long (although it might not be comparing like with like) would that screw up the chainline? I've seen them used on geared bikes but, on 4x's I've Google'd, they seem to take sprockets out (6spd?), not sure why.

So any help would be appreciated even if it's, forget it it won't work in which case it will be RS7's!

Thanks

Re:

Thanks, that's good to know, still don't understand what the chainline would be.

More than likely 48 - 50mm will be the chain line you're after, although a 140mm BB axle length seems rather long and could well push the chain line out beyond the cassette!

Yeah that's what I was thinking and without the ti axle they're too heavy, strange they only do one length yet multiple lengths in cromo. That combined with them ending up being quite a bit more expensive than Middleburn might push me back that way.

Back