Tubeless tyres..dealing with a puncture advice please

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I have had a few punctures lately that were the flint slash in the tyre of around 5mm each time. I have got Stans sealant in the tyres which seems to work eventually. Just wondering if there was a way of dealing with a puncture in this style. At the moment I hear the hiss of a puncture and stop. Turn the wheel until the puncture is at the bottom (allowing the sealant to run to the bottom) then wait 10 mins or so. Then when I ride off it seems to open up again. I stop and put more air in and limp home. Then in the morning I go to inspect the tyre and it has sealed! How long should it take to seal? Should I keep the pressures as low as poss riding soon after the puncture? Does anyone have a way of dealing with puntures?

Thanks

Doug

Re:

I mix 50/50 stans and slime sealant. Seems like the slime has more fibrous bits in it, which helps with bigger cuts.
If that fails I have this weird orange stringy stuff that you poke into the hole with a tiny hook and that will seal things up - have only had to use it once and I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. Lifeline maybe?

Re:

Thanks for the reply...

...just got another one tonight!!!! I think maybe these tyres I am using may not be correct to the conditions! Its dried out a lot and still running nobby nic and hans dampf....

Might try the mix....whats the slime stuff you use?

Re:

Thanks...

...back to the other part of the question. When you get a puncture and can hear air escaping is it best to stop and get the air leak to the lowest point. Or just carry on riding?

Thanks

Doug

Re:

Having been tubeless for 3 years now I'm afraid I don't know as I've never noticed a puncture until washing the bike once home apart from once and that was a very large gash in the sidewall so I threw a tube in .

Re:

I had exactly this happen to me yesterday Doug.
It's the first time I've had a puncture that hasn't just healed itself, and I only noticed as the fluid was splasing all up the back of my legs.
I tried more air, spinning the wheel and just leaving it for 5 mins with the puncture at the bottom.
In the end, riding it fixed it! I rode it for about 3 miles, then stopped at the pub and re-filled (both me and the tyre ;) )

Re: Re:

makster":e8sj0dyy said:
I had exactly this happen to me yesterday Doug.
It's the first time I've had a puncture that hasn't just healed itself, and I only noticed as the fluid was splasing all up the back of my legs.
I tried more air, spinning the wheel and just leaving it for 5 mins with the puncture at the bottom.
In the end, riding it fixed it! I rode it for about 3 miles, then stopped at the pub and re-filled (both me and the tyre ;) )

Thats interesting because twice when I stopped to allow it to seal for maybe 10-15mins when I rode off it went again. Once I had decided to hit for home and pumped a little more air in it eventually sealed not after leaking for a good 5-10 mins though. I do have another theory and that is the sealant...it was the last bit of a quart of Stans that went into theses tyres and maybe the gritty bits had all but gone...going to try a 50/50 Slime/Stans cocktail when delivered. Until then I have been going out on the Lobster with good ol fashioned innertubes on the same trails and no punctures!!

Re:

...so heres my theory...I am hefty, about 17.5 stone. So to get the right pressure I need to put more air in than most...running the tyres at around 35psi rather than most people high 20's. Because I have a higher pressure they are tighter/more taut and more susceptible to punctures. This has only really been a problem since I recently changed from Bonty Mud tyres to Schwalbe Nobby/Hans Dampf. So I have decided to run the tyres with tubes and see if the frequency of puncture reduces...

...We'll see!

Doug

Back