e.thirteen crank opinions please

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
In a desperate attempt to complete a couple of builds be for some surgery, I'm having crank quandries. My sts is running m970, my yet to be started but about to pipedream build, I was planning the same but I've bought a couple of duff cranks so am starting to look at other options.

Whilst searching I came across e.thirteen xc cranks and think they look good and price to weight is also good. Would I be mad to consider these over a) m970 cranks or b) race face cranks around the same price?

Any thoughts?

Are they the ones with the weird axle end? If so then there's been whinging about naff bearings and the cranks taking a while to bed onto the axle, as I'd been toying with some of these.

That's the ones. Bearings shouldn't be an issue really as they are the same as bb30 ones apparently. Like you, toying with them as something a little different. What has stopped you? If I buy them they will either go on a bike I intend to ride a lot, or my sts which I plan to ride, just not as much, and not in anger too much, so bedding in I can cope with if it's time, just wondering about how long they will be available with that bb, as spares in the future could be an issue.

Anyone else fancy venturing an opinion or have experience with these? Got an itchy trigger finger.

Only thing I tried like this were the Tune sixpack cranks - with hexagonal interface.
Took a bit of setting up and bedding in but they're great. Still going strong albeit on third set of bearings after ten years.
Only thing I don't like about e13 ones is that they black anodised so will look shabby eventually.
I like an interesting crank. For me from now on it will be Middleburns in either square taper or through axle form. Apart maybe from the race face sixC... If I saw them going cheap....

Thanks for that. I think I've seen a set of sixc arms going for £100, will try and remember where.

Ideally I'd like some black through axle middleburns as it goes, but can't stretch to them sadly.

The main reason for not getting them is trying to sort our house out, once its all done then crank shopping will start again.

I think the early E13 cranks were a bit of a nightmare with regards to coming ex.

The newest ones have been revised to solve the issue.

Personally I'm not a fan because I don't like the looks or the E13 specific standards. Race Face all the way for me.

I quite like the looks and the quirky standards appeal. probably why I like linkage forks. I've taken the plunge and bought a set, and at just slightly more than a set of xts from crc, they are a bit of a bargain, nice looking and as they will only be used lightly, they will do fine for me.

Back