Ceramic rims

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This has probably been done to death but do regular brake pads wear ceramic rims less,is there a significant difference in performance between standard and ceramic pads?How are ceramic pads identified?

Regular pads get shredded by ceramic rims and wear too rapidly to be any use.
Ceramic pads usually say so - for Maguras they are identifiable by the grey colour.

In the dry ceramics are amazing but in the wet theyre much like any other rim with a slight improvement maybe :?
In the wet they have a grating grinding noise thats unique and a bit disconcerting :LOL:

You buy them to stop your rims wearing out so quickly and thats about the sum of their worth. That said you spend all the money saved on pads :LOL:

Personally, i think putting a hard surface on a flexible alloy is a bad idea. I can see the logic in them but hard ceramic isnt one to flex and bend without cracking :?

TBH, the early ceramics from mavic were very good, but they used heavy duty chemical etching to get the ceramic to key to the rim properly. When they went eco friendly, the new cleaning process wasn't up to scratch, so you saw stacks of the rims losing patches of ceramic. I suspect that's why they were discontinued. Now they have a new surface treatment to replace the ceramic, but i hear that it'll only be available on prebuilt wheels, not individual rims.

I went through the same eco process at work, thankfully it was cheaper in the long run for us to buy some better equipment and carry on using the heavy duty chemicals, ceramic spalling in a jet engine is a little more risky than it is on a rim!

FWIW i was recommended by someone in the know to wear a set or two of stock pads out on a ceramic rim, before switching to the ceramic specific pads (IIRC, the shimano ceramic pads actually have the word "ceramic" embossed or printed on them, and the XTR ones used to be a lighter grey than the stock ones, but that might just have been a batch thing, rather than by design.)

Back