Fork Corrosion, white substance inside ?

heavyp

Retro Guru
Has anyone come across this before ? I have had a little leak very very tiny a few drops a month on my 00 boxxers so I decided to take off the bottom nut this morning and I have been greeted with this white substance.

Someone has mentioned that it could be Magnesium oxide mixing with the oil and this would give me a white glue substance, the forks are like new 9.5/10 but Im guessing the person I bought them off had them lying around for years and the oil dried on certain parts on the inside of the fork and started to corrode ?

Any help would be great I have numerous pairs of boxxers and they are all fine and even older than these 00 forks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 278
boxxer":2a4gj6mn said:
Pretty normal on boxxers and most mag Rockshox forks tbh mate

Massive problem or just something that can be sorted with a good service and news ?

Re:

Possible Moisture' water in the oil can turn it white and lumpy also the inside of the lower made from alloy or magnesum can get abuild up of white substance on from corrosion i no in small engines say 2 stroke a leeaky water pump seal will turn the oil in the engine creamy white i have also seen it in forks were grease from the seals and oil mix possibly water too turn it whiteish. Please dont quote me on this

looking at it the oxide is on the outside of the bolt now at a guess the washer isnt ali but steel thus would that not cause oxide on the fork, i know that stainless and ali react as do other metals when built together. id wipe it and keep a eye on it bit of vasoline would keep it coated.

cannondalekillerv":1desl99f said:
looking at it the oxide is on the outside of the bolt now at a guess the washer isnt ali but steel thus would that not cause oxide on the fork, i know that stainless and ali react as do other metals when built together. id wipe it and keep a eye on it bit of vasoline would keep it coated.

The washer is ali and rubber on top of that

Back