hope pro 2 hub pawl springs

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
After buying what I thought were a nice set of wheels on here, they are turning into a bit of a money pit. Bearings on the rear had gone so bought a bearing kit. Sounds simple so far, but since then they've been a pig. The end caps were tricky to remove, so rather than use force, a trip to the lbs today had them removed. Comments were made about how badly caked in grime the insides were, hence the struggle to remove. No matter I thought, they are off now, on to the task of removing the freehub, popping the bearings out and swapping them for new ones.

Sadly, not that simple again. Freehub removed but Christ, I'm amazed that the ratchet worked at all, so much crud in there it was unbelieveable. A soak in degreaser later, and I start the task if removing the pawls and springs, well what was left of the springs at any rate. A couple had corroded so much there was nothing left, the other two were pretty worn and had very little meat left to them. Pawls seem ok though. So, on to my point/question. Can I get replacement pawl springs or do I need a full kit? Being new to this modern stuff, I assume hope can sort me out, but as these wheels are already costing me more than they should, are there any alternative sources I can get them from for less coin?

Any help/advice will be more than welcomed.

I hope that the hope disc brakes I bought from the same guy don't go in the same direction.

Hang on, did you buy the same set of wheels as me?
Had the exact same situation, luckily managed to blag a full set of brand new pawls and springs off a lad for nowt!

isitafox":3uevq7cr said:
Hang on, did you buy the same set of wheels as me?
Had the exact same situation, luckily managed to blag a full set of brand new pawls and springs off a lad for nowt!
If I did, you didn't look after them very well ;)

I decided that as the wheels are apart, I might as well replace the pawls as well as the springs and bearings. Should be as good as new once done.

I fitted new bearings in everything the other week and brought them to work to do the pawls and springs today, completely forgot to actually bring the new pawls and springs though.... :facepalm:

isitafox":sdobc6up said:
I fitted new bearings in everything the other week and brought them to work to do the pawls and springs today, completely forgot to actually bring the new pawls and springs though.... :facepalm:
Oops. If I took stuff like this in to work, I think I'd be ask to leave.

Great thing about the current and previous generation of Hope hubs is everything is a doddle to change. And costs next to nowt....

Back