Winter Hack Vs replacing worn components?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Right having a bit of a rethink at the moment. Over the winter I have been riding my Santa Cruz almost always, thing is the muddy winter that we have had has worn a fair few parts. I have just had to replace the XTR chain (for KMC), 1 front ring (XTR M985), replaced a shattered XTR M985 rear mech (replaced with XT M786), serviced the Fox float forks, 2 new tyres, new XTR brake pads front and rear and just waiting for the M980 XTR rear cassette to start wearing too! So a little quick tot up and this has cost me just shy of £300 to sort the bike after this winter...

...SO GET A WINTER HACK! Say the voices, but I am torn.

Here's the thing...I love my Santa Cruz and would choose to ride it always. It is all top spec, just shy of 24lbs and its a hardtail 29er! Do I suck up the annual running costs through the year £300-£400 or do I spend £500-600 building a winter hack bike, that could reduce the wear on the SC? Thing is I think I would miss the performance and weight of the SC, if I bought a winter hack it will be heavier and I would miss the 29 wheels. I can see myself craving the SC over the winter build and still riding it.

Whilst I do love the SC its not irreplacable like some of my retro rides, so I am not overly concerned about the wear on the frame and componants TBH. Do I just ride it till it dies, and keep replacing the parts as they wear, or do I build a winter hack that I care about less?

Thoughts appreciated

Doug

You could get another light frame, say a carbon marin or similar........................ :D

The History Man":2qo6bfve said:
You could get another light frame, say a carbon marin or similar........................ :D

Shuddit or you and me will be wrestling at Mayhem this year!

But seriously, build an ally winter bike that's fun but unprecious. I have just the thing you can have for virtually nothing as it's not going to get used by me these days.

Brace yourself. Drumroll

6ba49a7df2bf7be56ac0862bf605dc82_zps3085c4cd.jpg

Mr Fisher's finest.

Swaps at mayhem.

Re:

I'd want it to be disc and as light as poss in Alu...I have an 853 Rock Lobster frame sitting waiting at the mo but wondering whether to go for it or sell it on...

Re:

I think you know the answer already...just ride the SC all the time.
When the bill comes in just shut your eyes and let paypal do the rest :D

Re: Re:

Grannygrinder":229sa5rb said:
I think you know the answer already...just ride the SC all the time.
When the bill comes in just shut your eyes and let paypal do the rest :D

I think you may be right!

Re:

Chuck a cheap group on before winter. Strip polish service and put the top stuff back on for the good weather. Its a good excuse to tinker.

Back