The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
So how capable off and on are these. Decided to go non retro for the road bikes and will be picking up a 2009 62cm Kona Jake next week to use as a road/winter experiment. what should i expect of it off road if i choose to venture? Light trails? Tow paths?

Never going to keep up with anybody so thought this might make it interesting. Also have a nice road bike for summer/social riding.

I plan to do something along the lines of a CX bike with that 'Dale. Once i sort out the headshoks as long as they don't attempt any more amputations of fingers!

I too looked into the same sort of thing recently before deciding to just build up a spare MTB frame as a light rigid with some CX-type tyres & go that route. (I was however comparing to a Disc-equipped CX option).

If you consider what CX is all about, they should be eminently capable off-road if it's flat-ish at ground level (i.e not jumps, logs, baby heads etc) - after all you're supposed to carry them over that stuff! ;)
The Benefit being, as you say, you can just then switch wheels / tyres and hey presto - road machine!
Realistically, it makes much more sense to have a CX bike as your 'bike' than just about anything else.
Unless you're racing, why shell out 6k on a full-carbon bells and whistles road machine just to experience less comfort and more wallet anxiety?

CXs are to my mind the essence of what 'mountain biking' was all about in many respects. Ride your bike, find some interesting woods/trails etc, ride round those, then ride home again! None of this load your 'sled' in the car and drive home afterwards.
The disadvantage (and the reason I went back to an MTB base) is frame size and bar positioning - I just don't feel all that comfortable on a tall frame trying to brake in slippery mud/gravel/downhill with my hands down by the headtube..

Baby heads? :shock:

The jake has double lever thingies for ease on the more 'challenging' bits. This was a consideration after my experimentation last summer with a frankenbike going downhill on the drops to brake. :|

The History Man":2drsozlc said:
So how capable off and on are these. Decided to go non retro for the road bikes and will be picking up a 2009 62cm Kona Jake next week to use as a road/winter experiment. what should i expect of it off road if i choose to venture? Light trails? Tow paths?

Never going to keep up with anybody so thought this might make it interesting. Also have a nice road bike for summer/social riding.

The Jake is a very capable bike, however, BITD people would often get a slightly smaller CX bike compared to their road bike (and yes I know you like large bikes, but smaller bikes are a little more flingable in some peoples eyes, even Muz rides considerably smaller bikes than yow). They will take quite a bit of stick, the wheels will probably be the point where you want to leave them off the jumps and avoid the rock gardens etc. Kona often use low spoke count wheels that make you feel like you want to protect them a bit.

On the HONC route, for example, there obviously wasn't much that a CX bike would have problems with doing well (those kids on them were having a great time), you have a lot around you like that, so you should have a lot of fun with it. It will feel quick on road and off, obviously a bit less comfortable off road as you have less tyre 'suspension'.

I would not consign it purely to tow-paths or light trails, carry it the few bits that are really rough and you'll be surprised at what they can do. Jakes are also reasonable tourers or longer distance bikes as they are really comfortable. I did a road club-run on mine a few weeks back and thought I was the lucky one on the poor roads.

With mine, I run two wheel sets, one set with cx tyres (Maxxis at present, Schwalbe soon), plus one set with Conti Travel contacts, which are the 38mm 'semi-slick' as follows: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... tact.shtml

The Conti's are great on road, and good off it when not too wet. I did 30 miles on a mix of road, farm track, grass and gravel, no problems and useful as they are pretty puncture resistant.

Finally, I lent my 2004 Jake the snake to my business partner, who refused to return it, he still has it, so I had to get a new one. Which was a shame...

Yes despite the frame being a 62cm it looks a lot more compact and laid back than the road bike. Looking forward to it. If nothing else will get mudguards and make it the general purpose fitness/trainer/exercise bike. tyres are the originals and i'm told it's had little use. Cables have never been adjusted etc!

Attachments

• jake.jpg
    jake.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 470
The History Man":2g9c3epd said:
... If nothing else will get mudguards and make it the general purpose fitness/trainer/exercise bike...

Don't do that until you have been on the Hillz with it and see what it can do, you'll love it. P2 forks as well!

They'll do everything that you can do on an XC hardtail, just slower and less comfortably. The rider is the limitation. (Unless Kona specced some cheap arris rubbish on it in the wheels department!)

If you use it offroad properly, it'll probably make you faster on your MTB, as you'll get better at picking lines.

I'd have a serious play with the position on that one, it looks like whoever you are buying it off bought a seriously wrongly sized bike!

mattr":uhw0ffko said:
They'll do everything that you can do on an XC hardtail, just slower and less comfortably. The rider is the limitation. (Unless Kona specced some cheap arris rubbish on it in the wheels department!)

If you use it offroad properly, it'll probably make you faster on your MTB, as you'll get better at picking lines.

I'd have a serious play with the position on that one, it looks like whoever you are buying it off bought a seriously wrongly sized bike!

Yes, apparently it was bought, used for a short while and then dry stored for the last few years. I thought the seat/bar position was 'interesting'.

Back