Tiagra 9 speed triple FD / Top pull

scooter

Retro Guru
Hi , I need to change my current Bottom pull Tiagra 9 speed triple Front mech to a top of the same version (tiagra)

Trouble is I cant seem to find one anywhere? Mine is a 31.8mm clamp on but can also use a braze on with an adaptor.

The reason I want to use Tiagra is because ive just recently changed to over to this group set, but now im moving it all to a different frame with Top pull routing so I just want to keep it Tiagra to avoid any issues.

My Chainrings are 48/36/26 .

Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these please :?:

Thanks Scott.

Shimano fd 4503 is the one but it doesn't look like a top pull version of such a thing exists - what frame / chainset / shifters are you using?

Re:

Its a trek hybrid frame 7.2 fx, Using for a tourer and im running -

Tiagra 9 speed triple shifters
Shimano Deore sgx Chainrings - 48 / 36 / 26
Shimano rear cassette 11-32
Tiagra 9 speed rear mech (medium cage I think ? jockey wheels = 80mm CtoC)
Tempory old shimano front mech which is working ok.

So now my issue is that when I change into the granny ring and the two largest rear cogs (32 & 2:cool: the jockey wheel rubs against those two cogs ?
Ive tried all adjustments and have the chain at the correct length but no luck , so im thinking if im correct? that I need a Long cage rear derailleur ? possibly 120mm jockey wheels CtoC .

What do you think?

I am guessing that you have the flat bar Tiagra shifters? These will only work with a road specific front mech (due to mtb & road front mechs having different pull ratios) but should work okay with any shimano 9 speed rear mech, however you also have an mtb front chainset (which have a different chainline to a road chainset).

To solve your front mech issues you will be best off getting an mtb front mech (you will then be able to find a top pull version) & mtb shifter to start with.

With the rear mech it is possible you have will not have the capacity for 11-32 & 26-48 (total 43t capacity) - check the mech number & designation on the shimano website and see what they say

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

either that or it could be resolve by screwing in the tensioner screw to move the jockey away from the cassette or maybe the max teeth designation @ 32t is too much for the Tiagra mech - sounds like you could really do with an mtb mech too :(

Re:

Ok thanks ,
Im using drop bars so I have drop bar tiagra's on them.
I tried the tensioning screw to but no avail so like say I think the tooth size is too big (32)

So I think my best bet now would be to try an MTB front and rear mech (long cage) and hope that the shifters have a close enough pull ratio to get all the gears.

struuth, so is there such a set up for touring bike use?

Sti drop bar shifters , 9 or 10 speed & triple chainrings?

I currently use tiagra drop bar shifters with xtr rear mech which is fine but mtb front mechs & road shifters definitely don't mix unless you can adapt the pull ratio somehow.

Re: Re:

scooter":18w575yh said:
Ok thanks ,
Im using drop bars so I have drop bar tiagra's on them.
I tried the tensioning screw to but no avail so like say I think the tooth size is too big (32)

So I think my best bet now would be to try an MTB front and rear mech (long cage) and hope that the shifters have a close enough pull ratio to get all the gears.

struuth, so is there such a set up for touring bike use?

Sti drop bar shifters , 9 or 10 speed & triple chainrings?

Well according to Shimano, the answer is a very definite NO. But that doesn't mean
you can't have a working system ;)

For the front with your STIs, you have these options:

- Try the new FD-CX70 which is road TP but for double. God knows how long it
took Shimano to wake up to that one, but I would be pretty confident you could use
it for a triple, but you would need to get your chainline well dialled and play around
with FD height a bit.
- Stick with your BP Tiagra triple FD and put one of these on the frame to essentially
convert it to a TP: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 8&minor=11
- Try to find one of these if you can, but I'm not totally sure it will work with a triple
but I can't see why not:
http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/uh- ... cross-bike
- Alternative cable routing on a MTB front mech. I suggest you have a
good read of this thread with your favorite beverage in hand, all the answers and some good
tips are there: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94356

For the rear with your STIs, you can basically use any 8 or 9 speed MTB long-cage rear
mech (a 10 speed MTB rear mech will not work).

Good luck.

Dickyboy":2rex4hr4 said:
I currently use tiagra drop bar shifters with xtr rear mech which is fine but mtb front mechs & road shifters definitely don't mix unless you can adapt the pull ratio somehow.

Ok , what are using for your front mech?

The trick to get an MTB front mech to work with road shifters is to clamp the cable on the wrong side of the front mech pinch bolt. This alters the leverage. It is covered in the CTC Shimergo pages.

Back