can you buy a standard qr to match a front maxle

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Sounds silly but I like things to match and having just bought a new set of forks with a 15mm through axle (Reba), I'm wondering if I can buy a rear skewer to match?

Is anyone else this sad and know the answer?

I ended up with a pipedream scion, and just shelled out for some new Reba RLTs.

Very annoying this QR issue, it will really bug me not having matching QRs, especially as I bought some nice blue hope ones to match the hubs before going 15mm QR.

Perhaps I can alter my question a bit and ask if there are any blue anno 15mm skewers.

Or is there a rear hub conversion I can do to get matching skewers?

I know it is sad, but this kind of thing bothers me.

Re:

Nice frame and similar to my old Kinesis Decade in looks, as for the rear wheel it will be a standard 9mm Quick Release, so the answer to converting your hub is no, sorry to say. I can't find a Blue 15mm Rockshox Maxle Light, you could always ask Rampage to anodise the front lever on the Maxle to match your existing rear.

Kind Regards

Liam

My rear is standard 9mm, but it's a hope and I think a conversion is possible. Probably not worth the effort to get a matching skewer though, but anodising one might. May have to see if I can get a donor one - thanks for the idea, oh and nice looking bike you have there. I think mine will need a black crank eventually, but going to start with what I have in 'stock' and go from there.

Re:

I did find these - $100 though :shock:

kcnc_15mm_thruaxles_300x300_1.jpg

You used to be able to use a rear skewer in the old Marzocchi QR20 axle so I guess there's no harm in seeing if the skewer that goes through the Maxle uses the same thread etc.

I've never clapped eyes on one before so no idea what they are made like or how they work. Might be an idea as you say, and luckily I do actually have two rear hope skewers in blue, so if it works, I'll be chuffed.

Anyone else get any thoughts on this idea?

Pretty sure that the maxle screws in and then has an expanding wedge to help secure it. I think the skewer that activates this wedge is activated by more or less a QR.

Thinking about it, the only issue may be the cut out that the QR slots into when the lever is closed.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back