Hope Big 'Un 20mm QR Axle...Or Not

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I was looking for exploded diagram and there doesnt appear to be one. seems many have tried and failed.
Hopes site is devoid of anything big or unny :(

Im trying to identify what i thought was a big un axle but it might not be because of its outside and inside diameter of the bearings that i have that fit on it. As shown on the red one
The outer is 36mm the inner is 25mm (both approx) No 6805RS (7mm thick)

The spacers which share the same bearings are odd in that the bearings appeared to be pre fitted to the spacer itself. One spacer has 2 bearings fitter the other has one though i can see its been reduced and ground flat. A bit of fettle fitting going on i think.

Does anybody recognize this type of QR axle or the double bearing spacer ?. Somebody had made the suggestion of Hanebrink due to the 25mm axle, Which is the google route im taking now.
Possibly this is the field of the Americans on here.
I think this is fun :? ISnt it ?

The 2nd pic is of this axle in comparison to some of the 20mm QR Bulb axles. Bottom above the odd silver axle is the Mark1 Bulb,above that the Mk2(5mm shorter) with the extended disc side and the top, another modern bulb, this one from 2007 bulb. As you can see, the top one took persuasion getting its axle out, due to a bit of a dumb design. The middle bulb axle is its replacement(so naff off youre not getting it ;) :LOL: )

A big un axle i believes looks similar to the early bulbs, the odd one looks nothing like them,especially the silver one with its little extended piece :?

Odd silver axle sizes are(approx)

Between the flanges- 68mm
Overall excluding small extended piece and pegs-92mm
Overall internal fitting excluding pegs=97mm
Overall- 108mm

Odd red axle sizes are (approx)
Between the flanges-68mm
Overall internal fitting excluding pegs-98mm
Overall- 108mm

Attachments

• Hope 20mm-25mm bolt through axles 002 (Custom).JPG
    Hope 20mm-25mm bolt through axles 002 (Custom).JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 801
  • Hope 20mm-25mm bolt through axles 001 (Custom).JPG
    Hope 20mm-25mm bolt through axles 001 (Custom).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 800
I have 2 different types of Big Uns that have 2 different sizes of bearings. Non of the axles in the photos look the same as mine as yours have flats on them.

Re: Re:

boxxer":1x61viz1 said:
25mm axle is hanenbrink sized

Aye, i mind you saying so :? :cool: The thing is though the Hanebrink are fooking huge and bolt through only i thought, so it would be the hub not the fork :? i would think at least.
Must be a Hope hub involved or i dont think this stuff would be in there.

In the ggole search ,ive come across a reference to a very early big un that was for 25mm bolt through, probably for the Hanebrink fork or the zyyzxy thingy :? But the early big un i have couldnt take 25mm internal as there wouldnt be room for any bearings.

I think the only thing i can do is see if MrP can get a hold of this chap again and have him explain what all the weird bits are for. Should have done this earlier before he moved :facepalm: Would have saved a lot of hassle

I have some hanebrink forks for sale they come with a hope big un wheel that is running a 25mm axle

I assumed the bearings are the same od diameter they have to be to fit the hub

in your bottom pic the axle second from bottom looks like a early hope big un but it should be silver an have top hat spacers like the red one on the left of the first pic

Early bigun like mine just has a set if bearings, a spacer tube and 2 top hats... It's a 1 piece tube rather than split though...

I got a reply from the seller, and thank god for it :LOL:
The fat 25mm axles and the spacers with bearings on are from original Big Un hubs, they were only in production for approx 6 months before a re-design to the model with 20 mm axles to suit DHO's the Boxxers

Well that solves that problem :D

Any1 got one of these big uns ? :facepalm:

dyna-ti":qm61u5l7 said:
I got a reply from the seller, and thank god for it :LOL:
The fat 25mm axles and the spacers with bearings on are from original Big Un hubs, they were only in production for approx 6 months before a re-design to the model with 20 mm axles to suit DHO's the Boxxers

Well that solves that problem :D

Any1 got one of these big uns ? :facepalm:

Yep got one of those new in the box silver 36h, didn't realise they were so rare :shock:

Worthless though :roll:

:p

boxxer":3vee9uku said:
Early bigun like mine just has a set if bearings, a spacer tube and 2 top hats... It's a 1 piece tube rather than split though...
Solid as in like the bulb and ti glide axles ? Spacers look very much like a top hat :?
If so ive got the front ,rear and another rear that looks like it was cut down for a big un rear bolt on :? Ill do a pic of them labelled so everyone knows what it all looks like.

I do wish manufacturers would keep a more detailed archive

Back