Looking to buy a modern frame, but which to choose?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all, I spend a lot of my time in the <97 section. After spending a fair few quid recently on some modern wheels and disc brakes, my original intention was to fit them to my STS, but that is fraught with issues - the main one being I would have to drill the frame for the cable run, and I can't bring myself to do that. Cable routing would then be ugly, as would the v bosses, so it got me thinking, why not get a modern frame for this new fangled kit?

I'm no stranger to modern gear, in fact most of my retro frames are sporting modern kit, but frames these days are alien to me. The newest frame I have had, which was actually disc only, was a Giant XTC 2.5, which was nice, but I used it for commuting miles only then sold it on.

I'm having knee surgery next week, so whilst I am waiting to finish off my STS (a few tweaks still to go), I am now thinking that a modern frame would help complete/complement the stable, but which to choose?

What are my criteria? Well size wise I'm 6ft (ish) and 12.5 stone so something suitable for my build would be a start. Other criteria are (I have become a bit of a bike snob since joining RB), not something common, but then again not something expensive. I am not sure if I want rear bounce or not, but keeping my options open at this stage, but I am leaning towards a hard tail I think.

Material wise, not fussed. I have a couple of retro ti builds, so no need to scratch that itch, had a carbon cadex which I enjoyed, so perhaps a nice steel frame is the order of the day - any recommendations?

My plan would be to part with a couple of projects that have not left the ground yet to find this (Pace RC200 F3, AMP B5 and possibly a litespeed Obed FS).

The parts I am planning around are some hope Mono and mono mini brakes (at least I think they are), and some hope pro 2 hubbed (blue) XC717 (black) disc wheels. I have plenty of stuff in the stash for this (9 speed XT, possibly even XTR M970 as I have a couple of bits), but should I consider going more modern and going 10 speed, or is that just a fad until 11 comes along, if it is not here already?

To be honest, the frame does not have to be that modern, just no v bosses and in nice shape.

Cheers

Re:

hmm ...

Too bad that the price is an issue. I'm about to throw my Schmolke's (scandium) frame in the For Sale section because it's slightly too large for my 5'9. It doesn't really get more rare than that.

Unfortunately these frames tend to go for £800 with a cheap shock, I spent £350 on the Fox rear shock and it has less than 100 miles (road only) since new. Not sure if your budget will stretch to the £600 that I'll spend entirely on antidepressants to overcome the financial loss.

P4300052m.jpg

Thanks, I've enquired about that. It's probably the right size too. I've not heard of pipedream before today, do you know anything about them? Are they any good?

Re: Re:

That is a very nice looking build you have there. If I had the cash it might be a contender. My main issue is that much cash is tied up in parts and frames Sat in the garage. I do have a lovely litespeed obed fs that I've not built up if you fancy one?
Raging_Bulls":pwpw0qxl said:
hmm ...

Too bad that the price is an issue. I'm about to throw my Schmolke's (scandium) frame in the For Sale section because it's slightly too large for my 5'9. It doesn't really get more rare than that.

Unfortunately these frames tend to go for £800 with a cheap shock, I spent £350 on the Fox rear shock and it has less than 100 miles (road only) since new. Not sure if your budget will stretch to the £600 that I'll spend entirely on antidepressants to overcome the financial loss.

P4300052m.jpg

ishaw":tegzyhdr said:
Thanks, I've enquired about that. It's probably the right size too. I've not heard of pipedream before today, do you know anything about them? Are they any good?

I ride a Pipedream....very similar to a Cotic Soul and get great reviews heres mine

Attachments

• dams.jpg
    dams.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 343
I've never ridden a cotic, but have seen reviews. I think I am being persuaded. Do you think the frame for sale would be too big for someone just shy of 6ft then? I'm not looking for an aggressive ride, just something nice and modern I can use in anger, saving the retro stress for more gentle duties.

ishaw":2g0zj2ga said:
I've never ridden a cotic, but have seen reviews. I think I am being persuaded. Do you think the frame for sale would be too big for someone just shy of 6ft then? I'm not looking for an aggressive ride, just something nice and modern I can use in anger, saving the retro stress for more gentle duties.

Have a read of this..looks like you might be in luck with the sizing

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ion-sizing

Thanks for that. Looks like I might be selling a lot of stuff tomorrow to raise some funds.

Out of interest, is it a 26er? Not that I am planning on any other wheel size having just bought some nice hoe hubbed 26 inch wheels, but if at some point I fancied a change, would the frame take a larger wheel? Being disc only, it will be all about the tyre clearance right?

would the frame take a larger wheel?

I wouldn't have thought so, doesn't geo & clearances all go wrong if you put bigger wheels on - unless you are talking larger wheels with slick tyres which may be possible - I may be wrong as I am sticking with 26" for the foreseeable future & know nothing of the other sizes available :D

Back