the problem with cyclists

I can kind of see his point. Despite the fact that he's chosen the wrong scenario to put it across.

Whilst it may well be perfectly legal - Cyclists who ride two abreast in the middle of the carriageway, and who make absolutely no effort to move to single file so that other traffic can pass them safely is a pain in the ar*e, not to mention downright selfish.

However, choosing to moan about this in the context of him as a motorist razzing around single track country lanes (which is dangerous in itself as there could be a horse, a tractor, walkers OR cyclists around the next bend) is probably not the best idea and in all honesty makes him sound a bit of a twunt.

Any half decent cyclist (or for that matter walker or horse rider) will move to one side to allow a car to pass safely. If the car came haring up behind them (and then had to slam on the anchors), then it's no wonder that the cyclists dropped the old one finger salute as he carried on his merry way.

Re:

If it were truly a fast A road, (what exactly is that anyway?), then the driver 'cresting a hill' at 50mph should always be prepared to hit the anchors. What if it was a combine exiting a field? Whether or not cyclists are best advised to behave in the manner described is a more complicated issue. The fact they gave the car the finger suggests to me the driver was hooning it and acted dangerously in their view.

We are frequently sat behind riders for extended distances, given our location with the usual noise cancelling wind and all the long windy B roads. It is of course sometimes frustrating when they take a long time to look back, or insistently wave you on where it not safe to pass them as if they need to get rid of you immediately. We actually enjoy sitting back and clocking the speeds of some of the more competitive road riders! Bottom line they have every right to be there, and as a driver you should approach every situation expecting to encounter an immovable object in the road ahead.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":z3hd0728 said:
as a driver you should approach every situation expecting to encounter an immovable object in the road ahead.

Said like a true driving instructor ;) :LOL:

Spot on though.

technically riding two abreast should be quicker for a car to pass than riding in a line:

http://ukcyclelaws.blogspot.co.uk/p/the ... -code.html

Sadly this is usually not true because car drivers are in a rush and dont overtake cyclists properly, they dont look ahead to make sure there is space, they dont give the cyclists the proper room as they pass, they rarely mirror signal or manovuer as they would a small car.

our impatience behind a wheel is not the cyclists fault. Look in the mirror and see where the fault lies. and yes these guys are vunerable road users. Treat them with care, they are somebodies dad, son, brother not objects in our way.

Re:

All excellent comments as I would expect.

The twunt 'journalist' really shot himself in the foot. I googled the link to 'how to write a terrible article about cyclists' and it was scarily on par with the Motorsport one.

Latest posts

Back