Rounded Out Pivot Bolt - Needs Removal Help!

Wylie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
...or rather, i need the help :cry:

I have a 2004 stumpy FSR frame which has been sat for nearly 2 yrs (since Oct 2012) partly due to sourcing parts, but mainly family matters. I started building this weekend just gone, but have run into some problems.

Firstly, the rear end is creaking. I have never ridden / worked on a full suss bike before so please bear with me. I tested it as rolling chassis and it would appear to be coming from the rear linkage / shock bushings. My plan then was to let the air out of the shock and disassemble the rear linkage to check things out. This is where it got worse.

I noticed that the right dropout pivot had a rounded out bolt head :shock:
I'm truly gutted and am looking for any help or advice on how to proceed with removing it, without damaging the frame.

Re:

There's normally a grab-it rounded bolt remover to fit. Google them. You'll need a new bolt afterwards though.

Re: Re:

wynne":6289gmpq said:
There's normally a grab-it rounded bolt remover to fit. Google them. You'll need a new bolt afterwards though.
watched a youtube video on this and and it seems really great.

How would i work out the correct size needed?

If you can tell what size Allen bolt it is, the grab-it bit will be sized the same - that is to say whatever sized Allen key you were using, it will be the same. It's normally described as m5, m6 etc which means 5mm, 6mm and so on. Grab-it bits are sold for the appropriate bolt you're trying to extract.

Righto Wynne, many thanks. Looks like i'll need the M4 then. I was fearing that i may have to get the dremmel out :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Anything made by Trend is good quality, so yes it's up to the job.
The name "Trend" is another matter.
Don't use WD40 to free it. Use the proper stuff, Plusgas.

Re:

Those Trend ones are the same as I use (though Trend is not the strangest name in the routing/tooling world - who could ignore Titman). Anyway, they work really well - just make sure your drill is on a low speed when you come to unscrew the damaged bolt.

I can't begin to understand why those others are 900 quid more.

Re:

suburbanreuben":ou0bp1q8 said:
Anything made by Trend is good quality, so yes it's up to the job.
The name "Trend" is another matter.
Now i'm a tad confused :oops: could u plz explain? ...also, i will look into plusgas, cheers for that man.

wynne":ou0bp1q8 said:
just make sure your drill is on a low speed when you come to unscrew the damaged bolt.
low speed, gotcha ;)

My drill does have a torque setting (1-10), would this be useful? ...high or low?

Thanks again guys for the help
Thumbup.gif

Back