Tubeless tyres blowing off rims in a hot car? Help?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So today I went out on a 25 mile offroad ride. Ride completed and happy smile :D . On my way back home having packing the bike into the back of the car I stopped at a supermarket to get so bits. When I returned 20 mins later the car alarm was going and when I unlocked the car both of the tubeless tyres on my bike had blown off on one side! Fortunately not too much mess but weird? It was sunny and the car was hot when I got back into it. Could it have been the heat? They were fine on the ride? When I got back I attempted to re seal them eventually one started to take, but got to about 20psi and blew off the rim again! I'm guessing they are f**ked? They have been taken on and off rims maybe 3 or 4 times would that have stretched them?

Has anyone had this happen, particularily in a hot car!! Only glad I wasn't driving at the time :shock:

Doug

Re: Re:

xerxes":3vl4ty4k said:
Did you skip physics at school? :D The pressure/volume of a gas increases with temperature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws

However, I'm not sure how any of these formulas can be applied to HM's dog.

Yeah but they were not in a super hot car, its only been 18oC here and what about when you leave a bike in direct sunlight in the height of summer would they blow then too?...and now they won't stay on so are they stretched?

how much air did you have in them in the first place? Even if you are running 40 psi (which is massive for tubeless) they shouldn't have blown off simply due to pressure change. Maybe the temperature softened the tyre too much.
and yes, you've quite possibly killed the tyres.

Oh, and the interior of a car, in direct sunlight, can hit 80 ish degrees. Even if it is only 15 degrees outside.......

mattr":1lk0e0rp said:
how much air did you have in them in the first place? Even if you are running 40 psi (which is massive for tubeless) they shouldn't have blown off simply due to pressure change. Maybe the temperature softened the tyre too much.
and yes, you've quite possibly killed the tyres.

Hi I was running about 32-35 psi in them as I am a sturdy 17 stone 10....and I left the car for like 20 mins...

Re:

I think the clue here is that both tyres blew. Are they UST rims / wheels or a conversion kit? Also have either of these tyres "seen" a tyre lever in the past?

The reason I ask is that me and my riding buddies have been running tubeless for years here in Spain with no problems in hot cars at all.

We had a conversation today about tyre pressures and it was generally agreed that my 28psi front 30 rear was too high even for rocky ground.

I hope this helps find the cause and avoids a repetition. :)

Re: Re:

shedobits":xkvtmek0 said:
I think the clue here is that both tyres blew. Are they UST rims / wheels or a conversion kit? Also have either of these tyres "seen" a tyre lever in the past?

The reason I ask is that me and my riding buddies have been running tubeless for years here in Spain with no problems in hot cars at all.

We had a conversation today about tyre pressures and it was generally agreed that my 28psi front 30 rear was too high even for rocky ground.

I hope this helps find the cause and avoids a repetition. :)

Hi

Yeah the rims are Bonty RXL ust rims, the tyres have been switched maybe 3 or 4 times and yes have seen a lever...the tyres are Schwalbe Rocket Ron with snakeskin walls (the lightweight tyre walls). So perhaps are weaker?...as for tyres pressures as I say I am weighty so go with the pressures described but perhaps that is still too much? The tyre wall says max pressure of 45psi...

Doug

Back