Chain Guide as tensioner...?

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
would it be possible, seeing as i have a duff rear mech hanger, to use a DMR chain guide like this..

DMR-MK2-Chain-Reactor-41985-Medium.jpg

..as a tensioning device?

what other options do i have?

Pauls Components loveliness
paulMelvin.jpg

Rolhoff loveliness
rohloffTensioner.jpg

Yess etr-b loveliness...
yess-etr-b.Jpg

the problem is, lovely costs lovely money...£40+ on a chain tensioner?? and most of them need a mech hanger..

what to do?...educate me please :)

Re:

I don't see why it wouldn't. As long as you keep the red wheel on the lower part of the chain (by that I mean the part below the BB axle), it should work.

Just keep in mind that you'll need to manually adjust it every time the chain wears. By the looks of it that first pic you posted, it means loosening the drive-side BB cup for every adjustment.

Re:

Whats up with your mech hanger, stripped thread or bent/missing?

Unless it's actually snapped off and then they can normally be repaired relatively easily, even when snapped off there are options for axle mounted hangers

@ Raging_Bulls - it's actually one of these, but i didn't like to link to someone's for sale photo. I've taken the plunge now :)

102_1322_zps5a6508af.jpg

I figure as long as it's keeping a little tension it shouldn't need that much adjustment..

@amidias - it's for my Kona, which I broked. Mech hanger is non-replaceable aluminium, bent, twisted and stripped...

Re:

"Tensioner" is a bit of a misnomer. As long as it takes up enough slackit's doing it's job.
Gear hanger mounted tensioners often have problems taking up enough slack unless they push down, which ain't ideal.
The DMR will be ideal. Once set for a certain ratio you shouldn't need to adjust it again over the life of the chain.

If you're running it singlespeed and not fixed, then it should work fine - it essentially does the same as a gusset bachelor

if u want could karma over the dmr sts thing i got of a frame it needs a clean and one of the bolts is rusty but its usable can do pics if u want ? am in crawley if ur passin this way at all ?

tony

not much, lol.

It'll run a 32x 18 with no tensioning required, but if i want to drop to a 17 or 16 as i get fitter it becomes a bother.

Back