GPS advice

Eddie King

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hopefully this is the right place to ask....Was out this weekend ('96 Zaskar) and lost GPS signal whilst in the woods....could anyone recommend a GPS system that continues to work well in tree cover ?

The new Garmin 510 is supposed to, it uses the Russia's GLONASS satellite system as well as the standard system and works deep into the woods apparently.

Re:

Anything that can lock onto as many satellites as it can, so having GLONASS is always a help as it gives more reference points, unfortunately trees obstruct live of site knocking out satellites, not much you can do about that.
I suppose something that can guess where you might be by distance travelled (wheel?) And direction (compass) may help in the really thick stuff. No idea if anything does that

I have noticed my new phone with both gps and glonass locks on quicker and in many places my gps only phone cannot. Shows it works

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1ti5l8kd said:
Anything that can lock onto as many satellites as it can, so having GLONASS is always a help as it gives more reference points, unfortunately trees obstruct live of site knocking out satellites, not much you can do about that.

Thanks for the advice....sure I accept that nothing penetrates dense tree cover (bet the military don't have that problem)...but have been checking peoples reviews where GLONASS is used and they come up pretty favourable....interestingly a scan of reviews for the most expensive GPS systems still throws up the same tree problem but apparently none of them use the Russian satellites

Back