Hub Advise.....

Jono_blackheart

Old School Hero
All,
I've been reading some info re some wheels I have, and I'm afraid I'm non the wiser - thought I would throw the question over to greater minds...

I have some old, but pretty good condition wheels (nothing very special really) - they have LX hubs - FH-M563 rear. Currently they have a 7 speed cassette (on a bike from about 2000..) but I would like to use something a little more modern - possibly 9 speed, or for this project at least maybe 10 speed

1) is it possible to fit a 9/10 speed cassette?
2) do I need:
a) a spacer
b) a new free hub

to make it work?

I have some spare rims in the garage that aren't built up - would it just be easier to get them built with modern hubs?

Any / all advice gratefully received!

Jono_blackheart

Re:

They are a 7 speed freehub. You would need to change for an 8/9 speed one, respace and redish the wheel.

If your rims are new then get it built up if its era correct you're after. If not buy a nice new set of wheels.

Re:

To be fair I'm not all that fussed about period correct on this bike - it's going to be a bit of a mongrel anyway!

Looks as though the wheel won't be easy to sort out - I think getting the other rims built up with 9sp compatible hubs is the way to go... The rims aren't new, but were originally laced up to disc hubs, so the braking surface is untouched!

Back