£700 on a 2nd hand MTB what would you get?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So a good friend of mine has about £700 to spend on a 2nd hand MTB...he has just come from a 2000 Marin full susser...looking at something with disc brakes maybe full suss or possibly hardtail. Decent groupset around the SLX/XT range. Lightweight so probably looking at Alu rather than steel or carbon. What would you get?...Something from the well known brands? (Spesh/Marin/Trek/Orange/Kona) or something from a smaller company (Genesis, Cotic, One one etc)

All opinions greatfully received!

Doug

Re:

I've seen lightly used models of my Canyon 29er sell for around that amount on ebay recently

Re:

If he can stretch his budget a bit, I advertised this a few weeks back on behalf of a friend of mine. I'm sure he would entertain a sensible offer on it, as it's his second business bike (he's a MTB Guide).

Canyon Nerve AM

It's immaculate and has only been ridden a handful of times.. Well worth a cheeky offer - the worst he can say is no! Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with him.

Re: Re:

wookiee":3dc54yyg said:
cherrybomb":3dc54yyg said:
You could pick up a nice Cube hardtail for that kind of money too.

Don't know much about Cube's...how do they ride?

I've just broken my 2011 LTD Race. (My 13 year old son now has the frame).

They're good bikes. Very well spec'ed for the money new, so real bargains second hand. I liked mine a lot, it rode like a typical alloy hardtail; responsive but stiff. The only reason I split it was because I fancied an 853 frame for a bit of a change as all my bikes were alloy framed. I really couldn't fault the LTD and they seem to get good reviews. If he's lucky, he may even find one of their full sus bikes within budget.

Re:

We'll have a chat about that Canyon tomorrow night..my mate and I are getting together for a poker night. Not sure if its full suss or hardtail or 29ers etc we need to get an idea but that Canyon does look a good deal... ;)

Back