plastic bb cup question

benjy

Retro Guru
To sum it up ive got a new bb with plastic cup. Old bb was alloy cup that was a sug fit over the bb case. New plastic one has play. If you slide it over the bb theres easy a mm of play. Will the cup sqash when put in the frame or is it no good

Re:

It doesn't necessarily follow that the play on the inside of the cup means the outside of the cup (i.e. where the thread is) is bigger by the same amount - it could be that the cup is just 'thinner' - if you see what I mean.

Can you just use the alloy cup from the old BB? If you can it's probably the way to go - the splines on the plastic ones can break a bit too easily when you try to remove them which can be a pain in the ar*e.

If not just grease both the threads on the BB cup and the frame (clean the latter with a rag / toothbrush first to check there's no crap in the thread) and gently give it a go and see if it goes in cleanly. Don't force it...

The alloy one is loose on this bb to. My worry is screwing it in the bb is only suported one side the drive side and after time may brake or damage stuff

Re:

Inside the loose cup the very end is tapered. The BB is only supported by this part of the cup once everything is tightened up.

I was starting to think that thanks. The old bb what ever it is looks loads better design might have a look round for one but need one asap an alot seam plastic on cheaper ones

Re:

If it's a Shimano UNXX then it's a well proven design and as long as it's correctly installed you shouldn't have any problems.

if the cup is correct for the bb, then it will be fine. i've never had a problem with plastic cups but hate them with a vengeance and will replace them for the alloy cup.

Back