Brakeset recommendation for 2007 Spesh FSR

grogee

Retro Guru
I'm sick of constantly p155ing about with my Avid Juicy brakes, they leak and constantly require bleeding.

Made the mistake of upgrading from Juicy 5s to Juicy 7s and they're just as bad.

I'd prefer something that uses mineral oil as I just think DoT 4 brake fluid is totally unnecessary for a pushbike (plus I don't do any downhill racing...).

I also think the DoT 4 fluid is corrosive and the Avids just aren't designed properly to keep it in.

Do Shimano still use mineral oil? I had an old set of Deore hydraulics that were faultless - never went wrong, never needed adjusting, just the odd set of pads now and again.

If it were my money I'd have a look for some nice Hope Mono Minis or Mono M4s. Right period, and they look lovely :)

Re:

There's some great deals around on shimano deore/slx/XT brakes at te moment that use mineral oil.
Got a pair of SLX with finned pads for £86 from chain reaction last week (no discs included).
Think merlin are also doing them cheap.

Re:

Get some of the current Deore as they're all the brakes you'll ever need. They are ace and for the price a huge bargain.

That's coming from a confirmed Hope addict.

Forget any Avids. Fair enough the odd person might get a decent set but I'd stick with shimano or a set of formula. Deals can be had 2nd hand on older XTs and some RXs.

Back