Problems fitting Maguras, or not?

markwashington

Senior Retro Guru
I've just been out in the sun, and decided to trial fit some Maguras, forks and bars to my bike, however I've noticed that the maguras sit in a way that means I can't fit the boosters. The bolts they connect to are too close together. Is this going to be ok for riding, or should I transfer to some evo 1 mounts (you know those absolute ba****ds to fit)? here are some pics, so you see what I mean.

Attachments

• Explosif 4.jpg
    Explosif 4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 640
  • Explosif 3.jpg
    Explosif 3.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 640
I'm not so worried about the back, but the rear of the top brake bolts will be pressing against the carbon arch of the forks and will probably damage it, it already pressed into the paint when I was first fitting them. On the back it would just be pushing on the seat stays which isn't so bad, I just wondered if there was a way of sorting them and being able to fit the boosters.

Re:

Shorten the top bolt thing to stop it and/or spacer it out from the frame. They are not designed to be fitted like that as far as I can see.

Bear in mind, my two sets are still in a box and a carrier bag and have not made it onto a bike yet.

Re:

Just noticed you've not fitted the rear booster which the long nobles fit into. Are the D washers fitted?

Could you try bodging the EVO mount hook in place of the studs?

Do NOT try to run those brakes on the front without a booster! I've seen the brake mounts pushed apart on those Manitous with just V-brakes, Maguras being more powerful will mess those up.

With Evo 2 mounts you should be able to get the supports parallel to each other. It looks like you have missed off the back bridge plate (which the top pint engage with). No longer do you need to fit the supports touching the frame, only onto the bosses.

The newer brakes as hamster says, don't have the 'elbows' that brace the brakes against the frame - they just mount into the mounting plate.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/uc/e ... p-prod9445

If you have the older type, with the l-shape 'elbows' you can pivot these around to get the calipers & mounts in the right place. If you have the newer type - which it looks like you do - then mounting plates F&R are the best option. Not all forks can accept the mounting plate tho (if the brace bulges too far forward)- so you may need to get hold of some elbows and 'devolve' your Evos.

Check magura.de and have a search around! Magura's site is great BTW as they have a comprehensive archive section with many instruction manuals and compatability guides for older products.

Re:

They make thicker D spacers if needed, I think they are called suspension spacers. Have a grub screw in them iirc.

Thanks for all the help guys, this site is fantastic. I've actually got both Evo 1 and 2 fittings and manuals for fitting both types, so I'll give both a go and see how they fit. I've also got a spare set of D spacers so I'll see if I can mount two instead of one. I really want them to work with the forks, but if I can't get them to fit I'll change forks before I change brakes!

Back