gt sts creak - how to stop

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm almost done with my sts build, but under compression it is a bit creaky no matter what shock is fitted (I've tried a nos super deluxe, used coupe deluxe and I'm now on to a Fox air shock).

It sounds as though it's coming from the top linkage where the rear joins the frame, and whilst there is no play, it is on original bushings.

I know I could replace with bearings which I can source from betd, but they seem pricy for what they are, and I've read some posts on here relating to poor fit and quickly wearing out.

So, how do I stop the creaking, and are there alternative bearing suppliers I can get what I need to upgrade? I don't mind fiddling around but I'm not blessed with engineering tools so would need to be able to buy and fit, rather than machine and fettle.

Build is in my Sig, looking to have it ready before knee surgery so I have my dream sts ready to roll once I've recovered.

Cheers

Re:

If you can get the bushes out, then take them out and grease them. The main top pivot is usually the culprit (my STS frame was exactly the same).

If you're planning on keeping the bike, then a bearing kit is a very worthwhile (if not cheap) upgrade and will completely transform the bike :)

Definitely a keeper, so sounds worth it. Is it simple enough to replace? How long last I g is the betd kit? I'm assuming once the bearings in the kit go, you can source replacements rather than having to buy a new kit.

I read that the bearing quality wasn't that great, nor are they sealed, so was wondering if there were any better options out there?

ishaw":371tpnzf said:
Definitely a keeper, so sounds worth it. Is it simple enough to replace? How long last I g is the betd kit? I'm assuming once the bearings in the kit go, you can source replacements rather than having to buy a new kit.

I read that the bearing quality wasn't that great, nor are they sealed, so was wondering if there were any better options out there?

You could always buy a BETD kit, take a look at what size bearings it contains and order some from a bearing manufacturer. Then just return the kit (unused) to BETD for a refund ;)

Barneyballbags":19gmmc7r said:
ishaw":19gmmc7r said:

You could always buy a BETD kit, take a look at what size bearings it contains and order some from a bearing manufacturer. Then just return the kit (unused) to BETD for a refund ;)
Hmmmm. Could do. I'd assumed that the kits were cleverer than just bearings though, such as specific bolts, bearing races and/or sealed bearings etc.

Re:

Hi Ian,

Have you tried to completely disassemble the rear suspension linkage? It's easy to take apart without special tools, then clean and grease every bushing with waterproof grease. After that, if everything else is ok then you should be fine without creaking. Since there's no excessive play with your bushings, there's no urgent need to replace them. Btw, BETD-bearing kit is not just the bearings but includes fitting parts also.

Cheers. Strangely when riding it doesn't/didn't creak so a good sign.

I think I will do a bearing upgrade though, maybe a linkage at a time until they are all done.

which would be the best to start with do we think?

Re:

Ok. I think it doesn't really matter wich way you do it, cause bushings sit tight there and you may have to take the rear off from the mainframe everytime you change the bearing/bushing. Maybe you should start with the creaky one at the top? Cheers

dan28":3c2anyz6 said:
take out the bearings an take them to a bearing supplier an they will match them
It's not that simple since there's no bearings to take out at the moment but bushings and any bearing will not fit straight on there. So the case here is bushing->bearing conversion.

Back