£1500 carbon road bike?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I thought this would be the best section to ask about all year round carbon road bikes.

I have a very light Rourke which I finished building a while ago but have only recently ridden (dry weather bike). This showed me just what a light bike is like to ride :shock: Not that my trusty Raleigh 853 is heavy, but the difference is noticeable.

So, I am now thinking about getting a carbon 'work horse' for all year round riding / training. I have a fair few bikes on the list, but I wondered what other peoples experiences have been of good / bad / indifferent.

I'd especially like to know about Dolan, Ribble and Planet X, although I also have Boardman, Raleigh and Canyon on my list.

My wife has had the Planet X Pro Carbon with Ultegra on for about a month. She absolutely loves it. Light as a feather and quick as hell. I know nowt about road bikes but even I like it. All for 999 but on CycleScheme cost me about 600 by the end of the year.

As a company car driver I can't benefit from the ride to work scheme.

Even so, for a grand, that seems an awful lot of bike.

Friends have both Canyon and Planet X carbon road bikes, light, quick, and generally good for distance work too, not much to fault , and little to choose between them.
Thinking about going the Planet X route myself actually.

Personally I'd look at Canyon, Boardman, and Planet X out of the ones you mentioned, more a case of picking the one with components or finish that you prefer.

My list keeps getting longer. :facepalm:

I have several criteria I am trying to achieve, including 10 speed (as opposed to 11 speed) Shimano or SRAM, because I already have some really good quality 10 speed compatible wheels. I also don't want to go below the weight of my Rourke, which is 8.2kg, if I can help it. This makes the Ribble and Dolan options difficult, as they do not list weights.

I am going to visit the Welsh bike show in a couple of weeks, so that will allow me to look at a couple of my possible options 'in the flesh'. I am also going to try to get to a few dealers over the next couple of weeks, inc Halfords.

There certainly is a lot of choice in this price bracket, even if you stay away from the mainstream.

Two of my pals have Ribble sportives - both very satisfied owners two years down the line. The fact that they are not looking for replacements probably says it all.

have you seen the canyon in the link below neil, seems to be a lot of bike for the money and very light. I would not get to hung up on the weight,the ride and fit are more important

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -14-48151/

as for dolan, I love them .I had a frame made by him in the 90,s and it was the best fitting bike I have ever had. I did over 300 miles a week o that bike for many years. the second dolan I have is made in the far east alu affair with mudguard fitted for winter riding, and I am more than happy with it

Canyon are high on my list Mat. I have looked at both the AL and CF ranges, as they have good £1500 bikes in both.

Added the Ridley Fenix now too.

It's a tough decision as there is a huge amount of choice. Once I have been to the Welsh show, I will have a better idea of what fits my requirements, and will be able to look a few of the bikes I'm interested in up close. At that point I will start whittling the list down.

Back