I Built My First Wheel Today!!

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
yes, it's ridiculous i know, but a very satisfying experience nonetheless!
bought a new hub to build a back wheel for the Tranny.
decided to invest in a spoke key, did my homework online regarding spoke length, ordered up some black DT double butted spokes and waited for them to arrive!
i don't have a jig, so decided to build it in the frame using some cable ties against the rim and a home-made card guide taped to the frame. the words 'heath' and 'robinson' spring to mind, but it worked a treat!
i used an old rims i had lying around, but it's had a wallop in the past and is slightly dented and not perfectly round! it will do for now, but now i know what to do i'm gonna get a new rim and re-build it with red ano nipples!
and new skill learned and my Ibis now has a rear wheel! happy days! :D

Attachments

• 2014-03-15 14.16.56.jpg
    2014-03-15 14.16.56.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 2014-03-15 14.17.17.jpg
    2014-03-15 14.17.17.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 408
Well done. Ive just started doing them myself. Up to about 4 now. Good tip if just swaping a rim is stick the rims together an just swap the spokes across worked well for me.

^^^^ re reom swap, just what I used to do.

I've done it in the past and have got good results - wheel roundness within 1 or 2 mm max and side-side to less then 0.5 mm but not got the spokes as evenly tensioned as I woukd like - what references did you use for building the wheel?

reference was another wheel!
i can relate totally to your tolerances, it's not 'perfect' but it's good enough to ride!
the rim was thrown aside a long time ago after taking a big hit, so it wasn't perfectly round to start with, and there is a kink in the edge of the rim that i had to allow for too.
spoke tension is pretty good, i lay it on a flat surface and leant on the rim as i turned it a few times to help the tension unwind, which helped a little.
for my first attempt i am really happy, am watching another mavic rim on ebay and will strip and rebuild it with the new rim and with some gold alloy nipples this time to match the front wheel!

benjy":2v6te0if said:
Well done. Ive just started doing them myself. Up to about 4 now. Good tip if just swaping a rim is stick the rims together an just swap the spokes across worked well for me.
That's the way to do it !
I've always built my wheels .lace them up , put it in the frame as I never bought a jig. True them up using the brakes as a guide , gradually bringing the pads in closer til the wheel is true . Just one thing to remember . Generally adjust the drive side spokes for roundness and non d/s for side to side .
Mike

cheers mike, that's a handy tip!
although quite how my disc brake would help me true mine up i'm not too sure! :p :D

Definitely worth 'pressing' the rims throughout the process then re-truing and slowly upping the spoke tension a few times. Stops that pinging noise as you ride off for first time (putting the rim out of true)!

velofrog":3sebibxt said:
cheers mike, that's a handy tip!
although quite how my disc brake would help me true mine up i'm not too sure! :p :D

I do beg your pardon , I thought this was a retro site

:LOL: :LOL:

Mike ;)

Good skill too learn dude I'm up too just over 3,000 wheels built now and it never gets boring and there's so many spoke patterns to learn

Back