FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY - *Pg 1 for updates/pics*

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

after speculating about doing this for aaaaages and staring at the disassembled frame sat on top of my cupboard for far too long, i have embarked on sourcing and creating my own bearing upgrade kit for the FSR frame (Elite 1999 model).

i shall be upgrading the following parts:

A links (the pivots at the chain stay drop outs)
Seat stay (top)
shock linkage

im a bit stuck with the main pivot bearings at the moment - not sure on what i need yet due to lack of knowledge of existing main pivot assembly.

I'm doing this with a bit of guesstimating and referencing the images from BETD and replicating their kits.

So far, i've sourced the following:
For the A Link upgrade:
Specialized%20A%20links%2097-99%20(medium).jpg

6 x Needle roller bearings (open ended) (the seat stay and shock linkage require the same sizes hence why i ordered this many). Measurements:
Outer diameter: 16mm
Inner diameter: 12mm
Width: 10mm

Nitrile O Rings. Measurements:
Inner diameter: 11mm (you want this a bit smaller than the ID of the needle bearing to provide a tight fit for the bushing)
Cross section: 2.5mm

Parts list to get (this will be updated as i progress):

- Nylon washers (for seat stay/A links/shock link): OD: 22mm / IN: 12mm / W:1mm
- Nylon washers (for main pivot): OD:22mm / ID:10mm / W: 3.5mm
- Bolts and locking nuts for bushes

Costs (including postage) - this will be updated as i progress:

Needle roller bearings: £8 approx for all 6
O rings: £2 for 10
Aluminium shaft (12.7mmOD x M6 bore x 300mm length: £10 (hopefully this will do all the bushes i need)
Needle roller bearing seals - set of 2 (for the shock link bearings): £8
Needle roller bearing seals (for top of seat stay - set of 2): £8 should have ordered 4 in the first place :facepalm:

Total so far: £28

Progress:

So far i have installed the needle bearings at the A-links. i've centred them as much as possible - using vernier clamps and a home made bearing insert tool (socket set and bolt/washers). took me 5 minutes :) the o rings sit perfectly.
Pics:

next is to get the nylon washers sorted and the bushings.

Also added bearings to the shock link:

For those interested, i used a simple socket head, bolt (used the one that holds the shock in the shock link) and a washer and nut to guide them in:

First problem:

nothing major, but the O rings i ordered have come up small - cross section not big enough (2mm) have ordered some with same ID (11mm) but with a 2.5mm cross section. this should do the trick :) one at the top of the pick wont fit properly.

UPDATE: Got the right O-Rings :)

Needle Bearing seals fitted to shock linkage - these needed a 3mm recess to fit flush. go too far, and you'll need to pull your bearings all the way through and start again! so gently and slowly does it! luckily, i got it spot on both times :) and they sit perfectly flush and right up against the needle roller face (with possibly just a smidge exposed to help create a nice seal when the washers sit over it): these were easy enough to install by hand (used a tiny bit of grease) and pushed them in using a socket with my fingers to apply the pressure evenly.

Top of seat stay bearings complete with seals installed. pics later :)

:)

Re: FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY

Would I be right in thinking its cheaper doing it this way rather than ordering the various betd kits?
Very interested in this for one of the fleet, would very much like to see pics/description :D

Re: FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY

toomanyframes":2mcva8f5 said:
Would I be right in thinking its cheaper doing it this way rather than ordering the various betd kits?
Very interested in this for one of the fleet, would very much like to see pics/description :D

thats exactly the reason im doing it.
for the parts that are readily availabe (needle bearings/o rings) i'd imagine thats where the savings can be made.
However, the bushes needed will require some out sourcing/favour asking from people.
nylon washer may need some creative thinking too, but its definitely not impossible.
i see no reason why it cannot be replicated some way, if not exactly as BETD have done it.
pics later tonight once the kiddies are in bed!

Re: FSR frame bearing upgrade - DIY *PICS ADDED*

Thanks for this. I always fancied one of these earlier FSRs but was put off by the fact they had bushes and the bearing kits, if available, were way too much £'s for an old frame.
Looking forward to you completing the upgrade.

old_coyote_pedaller":1ejpbkzw said:
Thanks for this. I always fancied one of these earlier FSRs but was put off by the fact they had bushes and the bearing kits, if available, were way too much £'s for an old frame.
Looking forward to you completing the upgrade.

me too. am trying to get as much done that involves the readily available parts (needle rollers/washers/o rings etc) then i'll find out how to get the bushes made. im sure its no hardship for a local lathe operator to sort me out.
i could even get some steel/aluminium rod and cut it to length myself and then just get the bushes drilled through....
not sure what material is best though....aluminium would be fine i guess - thats what most shock bushes are made from right????

Awesome idea have been thinking of changing my bushes to needle bearing, let me know if you need any measurements I've got NOS bush kit if you want to borrow to measure?

lowslowandold":38usc6m3 said:
Awesome idea have been thinking of changing my bushes to needle bearing, let me know if you need any measurements I've got NOS bush kit if you want to borrow to measure?
thanks, but i've got all the original bushes from this frame. With needle bearings, it changes the bush requirements, so i'll need to get some custom made i think...... :roll:
still searching for something that might make my life a little easier......

new O-Rings arrived today. hopefully they match up better.

still looking for a way to make some 1mm thick nylon washers, cant seem to find any online.
will measure up for bush dimensions next.

Interesting, would you say it's worth doing if there is no play or wear to the original ones?

Back