Help need information on my Klein as Retro newbie !!!!

boba fett

Dirt Disciple
Hi and just saying hello to the forum, as now im getting old, i love the old bikes i used to ride

So i need some help from the Guru's - I have stumbled across a near new condition original Klien Mantra Carbon Pro.

I need some help to Understand, its year and value. It is quite incredible condition, in the flip green and purple colour.

What i do know about the bike is it is original (probably not the seat post) and on the original tyres and brake blocks.

Apart from a couple of marks, she is mint.

The wheels are Chris King, badged Bontrager and the braking surface is as new, it has a strange set up with the Shifters and computer, forks are Manitou SX TI ?? ill try and add a photo

Any help would be really appreciated

Sorry about the pictures it was artificial light!!!!!

Re: Help need information on my bike as Retro newbie !!!!

boba fett":3lmwny2m said:
Nobody on here can help!

There are plenty of people on here who can help, they probably just haven't read your post yet as you don't give any clues in the title as to what it's about.

Edit your thread title so that it says something like "Help Wanted with Klein Identification" - I'm sure you'll get a response then.

Re: Help need information on my bike as Retro newbie !!!!

Hi Boba,

Not that many Klein experts often visit this section. Most people tend to be more interested in the earlier ones.
However putting "Klein" in the title would draw several more people in anyway, increasing the chance of useful replies.
I edited the title for you, but now they just may keep quiet to make me look like a fool. :LOL:

As David Gibson pointed out in the other thread, yours is a 1999 model.
You did find a nice one indeed, congratulations !

That strange setup would be the Shimano Flightdeck. They basically took a cyclocomputer and moved the buttons towards the grips. The idea behind this is to improve safety by letting you control the unit without taking your hands off the grips.

Hi thanks that is already a great help.

I suppose the biggest question is, is it worth much, and is it worth hanging on to.

I have a friend who has a 1999 Klien Adroit, virtually the same as mine, colour, everything, just the hardtail, it is as new, and has been sat in his Loft for years. His questions are the same !

Dude you posted the thread at 7:47 then 8 minutes later was wondering why nobody answered! It's not facebook, instant gratification not guaranteed.

It sure is in good condition...but its a Mantra, so 5% of people will love it and 95% (yes accurate data from a biased source I just made up) will think its less cool. Best thing about it is the tasty barely used XTR on it.

The Mantra is an interesting bike but unfortunately later model Klein's are not yet considered particularly valuable. But what would you pay for a working Sinclair C5 now?

Sadly at the moment the bike is probably worth more for the sum of parts than as a whole.

Don't let this put you off though as classic bikes are all about their appeal to you and the comments and interests of others when you ride them. Think about it, even the most valuable classic bikes are not worth Antiques road show surprise find kin of money. A mint Klein Attitude is probably around £2500 tops so its not life changing.

Enjoy this bike for what it is a Marmite head turner.

The only interesting thing I can tell you about the bike is its renowned handling characteristics. The steep head angle and short wheelbase has a tendency to reportedly pitch the rider forward on steep descents. This led to an interest in putting 29 inch wheels on the front to change the head angle.

I am sure Mantra owners can comment further.

Just enjoy her!

T'boo Ted":6rx84r3z said:
Dude you posted the thread at 7:47 then 8 minutes later was wondering why nobody answered! It's not facebook, instant gratification not guaranteed.

It sure is in good condition...but its a Mantra, so 5% of people will love it and 95% (yes accurate data from a biased source I just made up) will think its less cool. Best thing about it is the tasty barely used XTR on it.

Er, 24 hours and 8 minutes later..

Latest posts

Back