Suggestions for an all round MTB

Neil G

Old School Grand Master
I'm thinking of chopping in my RM Blizzard and GT for one bike that will hopefully cover all aspects of my MTBing.

I was looking at the Canyons and particularly liked the Specteral but is 140mm too much and at just under 30lb it's no lightweight.

Anyone got any suggestions for a modern (preferably full susser) that will cover XC and a bit of XC racing and still be half decent at trail centres?

Was having a look at the Anthem, get good reviews...would one be man enough for trail centres though?

You want your cake & eat it ;)
They had issues regarding frames breaking on the top tube way back but that's been sorted.
Bike for bucks its a belter.

I can vouch for their frame replacement warrantee ;)

Neil G":1ph4hx3m said:
would one be man enough for trail centres though?
Yes. Most trail centre routes can be ridden HT or even fully rigid without too much concern.

(Unless you are a shortsighted, hamfisted gibbon who couldn't spot a line if it was painted flouro green.)

Do you have any aversion to any particular wheel size?

RobMac":3t585kwg said:
mattr":3t585kwg said:
(Unless you are a shortsighted, hamfisted gibbon who couldn't spot a line if it was painted flouro green.)

:LOL: Brilliant, do you mind if I use that? :LOL:
Only if you let me correct the spelling ;o)

I love my Canyon 29er hardtail.
Best all round bike I've owned, and only cost just over a grand!

mattr":1ucmcoze said:
Neil G":1ucmcoze said:
would one be man enough for trail centres though?
Yes. Most trail centre routes can be ridden HT or even fully rigid without too much concern.

Ha Ha I know they can be ridden on both...I've done a lot of trail centres on a 100mm/71 deg XC hardtail, okay it was doable but not too much fun if you have back issues. I just found full suspension to have more grip in all the corners uphill and down and really did let me ride places to the full i.e riding the proper lines over boulders and jumps etc rather than scooting round the chicken lines! I know what you're saying though, plenty of rolling trailblocks on full suspension bikes (usually Orange Fives) at trail centres who are passable on hardtails!

I'd like to try 650b but not really into 29 as I'm to short!

Latest posts

Back