Straight Pull Vs J bend, mix and match wheelset? (Pro 2 Evo)

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've read various opinions of pros and cons suggested by forum users and odd reviews. For my sins I really fancy Straight pull specially if buying fancy pants new wheels, lighter and potentially stiffer and 'futuristic looking', and I can find a very competitive SP front. Rears are harder to find, found one at a good SP deal but for £50 cheaper I can get a bargain J pull rear.

Would I be mental to Buy one of each type from 2 shops and make a point of buying a few more spare spokes of each variety?... :D

Re: Straight Pull Vs J bend, mix and match wheelset? (Pro 2

Or be a pimp monster and buy SP front and rear? but still 2 shops/parcels for best price. :S Merlin say their web price is best price.

I love the straight pull Hope hubs :D I actively seek the bare hubs out on ebay as they seem to go very cheap.
My current SS bike has a SPXC pro 3 which i picked up for buttons laced to a Mavic XM819 rim which was cheap on CRC as, i asume, there's not much call for 24 hole MTB rims.
I sent the lot of to Dan(cannondaleking) who managed to figure out the spoke lengths(Hope didn't offer any assistance in this area at all :roll: )and laced it all together.
Superstrong lightweight wheel for less than the cost of a quality rim :D

I've also got a AM SP 4 laced to a Mavic 729, both wheels are extremly light for there weight and although i don't get that much mileage in they have been faultless :cool:

Thanks that's good to know. I Do really like the idea. Might buy one at a time anyway, easier to pay for haha!

Lot of forums people playing it safe with hear say on cons of SP.

I had seen the AM SP 4 about a bit on full wheels, was confused about what these are, odd 3 prong brake disc attacment? and only 24 spokes? Bet they fly!
cheers

SP AM 4 is 32 hole(possibly 36 aswell)with a bespoke 4 bolt disc mount.
SP XC 3 is 24 hole(possibly 32 aswell)with a bespoke 3 bolt disc mount.
Off the peg discs are readily available plus Hope will machine whatever diametre you need in various patterns for a price :twisted:

Ooooh thats an interesting twist as I've seen these about built up.
So they are as strong etc just less points on the disc. hmmm

Thanks will ponder

Hubs are beautifully machined from a single billet.
I should get a job in sales working for Hope :roll: :D
This is a pic of my AM 4 before it was rebuilt(DT rim was made of cheese), my XC 3 has a 'team green' freehub which is probably worth more than both wheels put together :roll:

Attachments

• hope1.jpg
    hope1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 339

Thanks that's interesting. Suppose they designed their own mounts to save weight on steel rotors, just like spiders cast into cranks.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm a bit of a sucker for straight pull too...watching with interest to see how you get on reanimation

Back