modernish full sus - Foes, Yeti or Turner

Gordie

Geoff Capes
Before the weather gets a bit warmer I'd like to build a new trail bike.

I'd like it to be relatively light with decent components as an alternative to my Pace RC300.

On my shortlist are the following

Foes XCT 5 or FXR
Yeti 575 or ASR5
Turner 5 spot

I've never ridden any of the above but always fancied one of them for one reason or another (most likely due to the dhr, dh6 and the foes mono although I do not ride Dh anymore)

Does anyone have any experience with these frames and have any comments on them or possible alternatives to look at?

Nice choices

Personally I'd be going for the Yeti but that's probably because I've always had a soft spot for the brand!

My brother has a Foes XCT, I've had turners in the past, sold my intense 5.5 last year and have a good friend who has an ASR5.
Preferred the 5.5 to the 575's I've ridden, seemed more capable but I can't quite put my finger on exactly my reasons for choosing it.
The ASR is lovely, always thought it was less aggressive than a 5.5 but then mine was setup with a coil dhx and my other brother has a air setup on his 5.5 which is more comparable. Little bro's XCT is awesome, pretty sure there's a black frame on ebay at the moment.

Thinking about it the Intense choice is because of my love for the M1, completely the wrong reason to buy a bike but hey ho.

On another note I've a 04 DHS Mono in my garage at the moment!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm split between the Foes and the Yeti at the moment, Yeti's are on sale @ CRC and Balfa are clearing old Foes stock so I guess I should make my mind up soon before they're all gone.

I guess it's going to be harder to buy a new 26" frame in a few years as they'll all be either 650b or 29'ers :shock:

I've owned both a Foes FXR and a Turner 5-spot for a few years. 2004-2005 models both fulfilling very similar roles in my line up. The trail bikes of choice for Ardennes, Harz, Black Forest and Alpine holiday trips.

They are very accomplished sturdy trail bikes (AM in modern speak) with real pedigree. Both have 5" or 6" rear wheel travel depending on choice of rocker arm or shock mount. These bikes have huge reserves as in being capable on gnarly and steep terrain way above their intended purpose. Both bikes gave me confidence to hurtle down the mountain at speeds not normally associated with family fathers ; - )

How to choose between them? Look at your own riding and which you fancy really. Or, if it is undecided, the one you can get a deal on.

In my opinion the Foes is the more "overbuilt", and the FXR made me feel invincible in the downhills. But it also comes with accomplished climbing courtesy of the Curnutt damper. The 5-Spot really is the singletrack devouring trail king, with truly intuitive handling. More the all-round package with a very wide range of application.

Some comment on the web that the Curnutt damper platform feels particular. But I got on with it from the word go, for any Foes it is a must have. The later Turner DW link models I have not ridden, but the reviews indicate the updated suspension favors pedalling. That would bring the 2 bikes even closer in terms of character. YMMV

I think you'll have big smiles on either, I know I did.

Enjoy!!

Back