Recommend me some good flat pedals & suitable shoes

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Following a little incident last weekend :roll: I'm looking to fit flat pedals to my mountain bikes for the first time in about 20 years.

THe retro steeds will get XT style but I do actually ave a modern bike too :shock:

What do folks recommend as a good flat pedal for XC use?

I'm also going to need some suitable shoes to go with them. I keep hearing good things about Five Ten shoes. Does anyone here use them,or can anyone suggest any good alternatives.

I've got about 12 weeks to save some beer tokens to buy them :facepalm: so price isn't too much of an issue, but they'll be going on a Cube LTD Race so titanium axles aren't really necessary! :D

Used a few different flats and currently have some DMR vaults, Shimano DX and some Superstars. Vaults are my favourites for size and grippiness. I run 5:10 freeriders and they work a treat. They have changed the soles recently and not tried them but the older ones rock.

Sam Hill or Lo Impact Five tens for me with good grip and toe protection plus they are great for hikeabike sections too.

Currently, I'm using Nukeproof Neutrons, Welgo MG1's, and V12 copies and couldn't pick a favourite. They've all survived pedal strikes and crashes whilst the bearings seem to improve with use.

Agree with the Nukeproof Neutrons though Superstar have an identical version that's cheaper, as for shoes if you want something sturdy then get some fivetens. If you want something a bit more lightweight then look for some Adidas Terrex Solo's or pretty much any Adidas approach/rockclimbing shoe. They recently bought out Fiveten and use their soles on all the new Adidas approach shoes.

Humm…?

Sounds like the 5:10 shoes get the thumbs up.

I've never been keen on the look of the V8 or V12 pedal (I know…tart!)

I'm liking the Nukeproof Newtron. Anyone tried the Wellgo B143?

isitafox":36osk233 said:
Agree with the Nukeproof Neutrons though Superstar have an identical version that's cheaper, as for shoes if you want something sturdy then get some fivetens. If you want something a bit more lightweight then look for some Adidas Terrex Solo's or pretty much any Adidas approach/rockclimbing shoe. They recently bought out Fiveten and use their soles on all the new Adidas approach shoes.

Thanks for the heads up about Adidas approach shoes. ;)

I'll check out the Superstar pedals too.

I have posted this picture a few times now, once more should be OK :LOL:

Cheap and quite light :

I haven't used mine yet but dad loves his :cool:

WD :D

Are those the Neutron or Electron? I can't tell the difference :?

I've just ordered some of the Superstar Nanos in anno red. Look to be exactly the same pedal but £37 delivered.

Just got to get me some shoes now but thee's no point in doing that until the cast comes off! :roll: (Hence having 12 weeks to save up for stuff :D )

Latest posts

Back