20mm Thru axle Adaptor for standard QR?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Hi

Basically like a bit of an idiot i won some Marzocchi bomber Z2 X fly's on ebay last night, and when i looked in better detail (zoomed in on the photo's) this morning i realised that they are the QR20 model (i wont go into the fact that it wasnt mentioned that they were for a 20mm thru axle, or even listed as QR20's!!)

The seller has told me that adaptors are available to run standard QR front wheels, does anyone know if this is correct? I have done a bit of searching on google but not found anything.

I have only just bought my new wheels so don't fancy changing to a 20mm thru axle now.

Thanks

Joe

I'm just running normal mavic d251 wheels with LX parralex hubs, standard QR.

Seen these, but not sure if they would work with the Z2 dropouts, as they are open ended (rather than the usual bolt on dropout covers).

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/903301/ ... firstphoto

Although it does state that they work with Marzocchi QR20? I don't understand al of the jargon.

The forks i have bought look like this dropout wise:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9780394/

Any help much appreciated!!

I'm not sure that home brew adapter will work because the older style QR20 drop outs rely upon a lot of pressure at each end to hold the wheel in place.

I guess hi could try and get a refund or sell them on and buy something more suitable.

I thought the same.

Even if those adaptors do work (which i'm not convinced on this style dropouts), i don't think i would be confident with the set up.

I've asked for a refund.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

I have a 20mm through axle Atomlabs front hub that i used with some old QR20's. i'd be happy to split the wheel it's on and sell it you if you are struggling to find something. you could probably get your wheel built up with it for £15-£20 from your local? or do it yourself if you're decent enough :)

message me if you're interested dude.

BITD I had a set of DHOs (20mm) that came with a similar insert to those in the advert but they were made from a hard plastic. On the DHO's they were spot on but then the dropout design on the QR20 is slightly different.

The adaptors are working fine with -02 QR20 Marzocchi DirtJumper 1 which are equipped with bolted clamp underneath the axle.

I use 15 to QRs and have been riding no probs on them for a while. Just light XC though, don't think I would be happy hammering down anything technical on adaptors, but there are some reet solid looking adaptor axles on Ebay from the US that look well made.

highlandsflyer":1oy7lo6n said:
I use 15 to QRs and have been riding no probs on them for a while. Just light XC though, don't think I would be happy hammering down anything technical on adaptors, but there are some reet solid looking adaptor axles on Ebay from the US that look well made.

You have a pic for this solution?

Back