New to disc brakes

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I have a disc only rear wheel with a 160mm disc and I need to buy the rest of the brake from lever to caliper. Some seem to specify which size of disc they are compatible with - but I can't see why and I wonder if that info is only only given where the disc itself is included in the sale.

It depends upon the mount to which the brake caliper is bolted.
The design of the caliper varies according to the diameter of the disc with which it is to be used. Adaptors can be used to alter this, if a larger diameter disc is to be used.
Hth
Al

Thanks mate :D

So I should ideally be looking for a caliper specifically for a 160mm disc. Some sellers on eBay don't specify - is there any way to tell or is it just a question of asking the seller?

Most modern calipers will work with all disc sizes. It's just a matter of which adaptor is included in the sale. Most XC sets will be 180 or 160 front and 160 rear.
Best thing is to shop around for those you like, then be prepared to buy a couple of adaptors if you need them.

What frame are you going to fit the rear caliper to?

Generally most callipers will work with most sizes of disc, all that differs is which adapter you use to move the caliper further out from the frame to accept a bigger disc, or not.

example: my Ghost bike came fitted with a 160mm disc at the front as standard, the caliper was bolted directly to the fork.
I wanted to upgrade to a 180mm front disc, so had to buy the disc, and then an adapter (in my case a Post mount to Post mount adapter). I used the same caliper and lever.
The adapter is basically a spacer to move the caliper out so that it can fit over the bigger disc.

Just get the disc brake you want, do a test fitting to see if you need an adapter, and if needed get an adapter.

What adapter you get depends on whether your frame has IS mounts (likely), whether the caliper is IS or Post Mount (could be either), and how far you need to space the caliper out (often frames are 140mm at the rear so need an adapter to fit a 160 disc, mine is like this, or you may be lucky and be able to fit a 160 disc without any hassle).

Screenshot_2014-01-21-10-08-22_zps4567805f.png

Thanks guys!

It's a 99 Raleigh RSP with Reynolds 853 frame.

The front is v-brake at the moment and I'm just looking to get it running for now. The fork's a bit naff though so I may buy a pair of brakes so I can upgrade the front in due course.

Your frame has an IS mount.
Are you opting for cable operated disc brakes? I noticed the cable running down there, at least you could continue using the same v-brake levers then, although my personal opinion is that even a cheap set of hydraulic disc brakes are better than all but the very best cable operated ones.

This is just a guess, but based on your photo I would say you would need an adapter to let you run a 160mm disc. It would need to be a "Rear 160mm IS to (IS or Post, whichever the caliper is) adapter).

Great thanks, I'll look into it further. Meant to say, the cable is a red herring put there by the confused previous owner. The braze-ons are for a hose, rather than for cables, though I imagine there is some sort of cable stop that can be purchased to enable a cable-pull brake to be used. Think I'll go hydraulic though.

Some of the hydraulic brakes on eBay say they are ready to use but I assume that to get the hose through the guides one or other end must be detached. I'm guessing it would then need bleeding (Or something) again etc?

If you take one end of them apart to run the hose through the frame then yeah they could probably do with a bleed, not always the case though.
How easy it is to bleed is down to the brakes, some are simpler than others.

jaypee":1r6mag7s said:
The braze-ons are for a hose, rather than for cables, though I imagine there is some sort of cable stop that can be purchased to enable a cable-pull brake to be used.
the cable stop is integral with the caliper.

Back