New bike, old tricks

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've been pondering the idea of building a steel framed cross bike this year, but wanted to use Campag kit which was casusing a bit of an issue as I also wanted to go with disks.

Anyway I've overcome the disk problem and now have the option of either using Shimano/Sram 29er wheels or you can now get Campag compatible CX wheels.

Anyway I had one of those eureka moments on new years eve (was probably the JD!).

Why not build a steel frame 29er but use Campag mechs & CX Cranks (they come in a 46/36 combo which would be (just about) OK I reckon. That would be so old skool cool!

Now the question is.......

Does anyone have any ideas of shifters that could be used? Maybe friction thumb shifters :?

JTEK shift mate and Shimano rapid fire pods would be a good start point.

EDIT: there are Campag flat bar shifters too.

Yeah, got a JTEK to run a Shimano cassette with campag mech so had thought of that option. Would rather not use any Big S stuff though.

I had looked at the campag shifters but they are a combo with a brake lever which would make disks difficult as they'll be made for road brakes. Not sure whether the hope kit for CX bikes would work with them but I suppose it should thinking about it as they're designed to work with road levers.

Not very neat but it would work I guess...

Could also go CX cable disk too.

Hadn't thought of that either.

This might not be as difficult as I first thought. :cool:

Are you wanting to run drops or flat bars? For flats you could use Paul components shifter mounts and campag bar end shifters and for drops road BB7's should work with campag brifters.

Just get a full campag set up and some bb7 or bb5 road discs.

Or if you are feeling flush, some trp hy:rd. It's a cable actuated hydraulic disc. My wife will probably be swapping to them this autumn. (Currently on the bb7 Road discs)

You could also look at the trp spyre disc brake, they are road compatible I think.

I'm just going to stick to cantis.

Thinking of building a 29er hard tail with 2x10 Campag so flat bars.

Could use road cable disks like BB7s or a Hope or TRP (similar idea) hydraulic system that can be used with road levers.

Campag do a lever/shifter combo for flat bars and I can use a JTEK jobbie so I can run the campag with a Shimano cassette (difficult to get campag disk hubs)

This just might be a go'er. :cool:

If your wheels will be Mavic, then I'm pretty sure you could put a Campagnolo freehub on them and skip the JTEK and Shimano cassette.

Back