dwelling if my bikes to big ( pic added )

benjy

Retro Guru
hi, dwelling on if my bikes to big, iam about 5'5 an 75cm inside leg on a 18 inch frame, it feels ok to me but after riding my hack thats ment to be 20inch but some reason feels smaller iam wondering if i need a smaller frame or maby try a smaller stem as i have the seat up about 6/ 8 inch or so but it feels a big bike, its got 90mm stem and i was thinking of dropping to a 70mm.

i know my descriptions not good but it is Christmas lol

Re: dwelling if my bikes to big

What bike?

I'm 6 2 and ride between a 19-21" frame. But you say you have 5" seat post?

Without knowing the bike it's tough to say, but at 5'5" I'd have put you on a Small/16" tbh.

ikes a voodo bantu.

i have the seat post up out the frame about 6/ 8 inch is what i ment so seats about level with bars, my legs fee ok on it just feels a big bike, i was thinkinh it could be the stem as its 90mm, spoke to a lad at llandegla shop he said more modern stuff the stems are short an looking around the shop they were 60mm max, so was thinking should i try a smaller one or is it just to big, i know its a mine field with sizing an i seem to be right on the 16/17/18 sort of borders, they only had an 18 at time so sat on it felt ok had it but do wish they did a 17 now lol

Something doesn't add up here...
18" frame (i'll assume to top of seattube as it's give shortest measurement and a Voodoo)
+
7" of seatpost
+
1" of seat on top of that (maybe more)
+
6" of cranks, ( guesstimate after shoe hight, pedals...

that's 32"
your inside leg (assume true, as it's quite precise... and not trouser) is <30"
?

my bad I forgot it +10% for seat height...
making it ~32"

still that's from pedal axle to top of seat (so another half inch but given inaccuracy of post+seat.. nowt to fret over) and probably roadie setup...

Unless 6 / 8 isn't 7", but is in fact six eighths of an inch?

If you have 7" of post and the seat's level with your bars, then that's one hell of a setup!!

If there's under 1" of seatpost showing, then theoretically the frame is the 'right' size in road sizing, but for MTB yuo'd normally take a couple of inches off that for 'comfort' ;) so yeah, 16".

Osella":2e8bz5b2 said:
Unless 6 / 8 isn't 7", but is in fact six eighths of an inch?

If you have 7" of post and the seat's level with your bars, then that's one hell of a setup!!

If there's under 1" of seatpost showing, then theoretically the frame is the 'right' size in road sizing, but for MTB yuo'd normally take a couple of inches off that for 'comfort' ;) so yeah, 16".

It's a modern bike, the bars a very heigh.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

In which case... (and maybe I'm missing something in the original question) why not drop the seatpost..?

If it feels the frame too big, and is 7" elevated, why not drop it down..? Ir is the 'feeling too big' due to the bar height, and nothing to do with the frame?

As the suggestion is that a 20" frame 'feels' smaller and the suggested fix from the OP for the Bantu is a shorter stem, suggests nowt to do with the frame, and maybe shorter-travel/lower crown forks, a 0 deg stem (or if set up like the pic, lose the spacers!), or flat bars would the the answer?

Hi . Yes sorry its about 6 inch or so hi so seats same hight as bars. I think its more bars/ stem there pritty wide an the 90mm stem to i think its them making it feel to big. The frame is possibly to big by an inch or so but dont feel its to bad. Sorry for not explining to well might try get a pic of me on it

Latest posts

Back