Joining a KMC chain, wrong quick link, wrong technique?

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
Hi

I bought a "brand new" groupset set off Ebay (i.e. taken straight off a new bike - its pristine), its made up of Shimano Claris, but with Sram Cassette and KMC Chain. Its for my lads road bike I am building up.

The group set is 8 speed, cassette is 8 speed, chain was stated as 8 speed.

I ordered a 8 speed Sram link online, as I thought it was a Sram Chain, turns out to be KMC, but they are compatible (same factory!) are they not?

I could not get the chain to join, the links look about right in terms of thickness, width, style. I just can not get the link to "stretch" out and lock. I presume something is wrong.

I looked on the chain this AM and it state KMC Z7 3E 2, a quick goole gives me a hit on CRC and it states 8 speed.

I am sure one of you knowledgeable guys will have a quick answer?

Have you tried pedaling, it should click in. I've always used whatever q links I've had available on any chain.

I read about that his morning, I hadnt tried it! I was trying to "pull" the chain with my hands, will this not work?.

Problem is I just can't see it staying in one piece whilst trying to pedal, but will to try.

Sometimes these links seem too tight, a pedal stomp has sorted it for me, never had one come apart on road or MTB, as long as the pins are through all the way and not off at an angle it'll click just fine.

You don't need to ride the bike to get the link to lock, just make sure the link is on the upper run of chain, and then press down on the forward pedal.

Not convinced its the right size/type, but going to try it.

What bothers me is that is just doesnt seem to hold together to even get it to pull tight!

I had another go, finally sorted it. I think one side was out of tolerance. Easy enough to get one side in, a real pita for the other side.

you can just join the chain using a chain tool
my quick link was missing when I got the chain

Back