fox forx lower compatibility question

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, my sts needs a black front fork, as the grey Fox just about works in terms of colour. I'm thinking about getting a set of the more modern Fox lowers in black, swapping over the upper/CSU, painting the existing crown, and voila, a black fork.

My questions are:

Is a modern lower going to just fit?

What's the procedure and oil volumes needed for this?

Should I sell what I have and buy a complete fork instead?

Cheers

Re: fox forx lower conpatibility question

I think lowers are fine to swap, if you can stick to the same model range (32,34 etc). The CSU is where is can get complicated, but as you're keeping yours you should be fine. What model fork have you got? The Fox site is great for service guides, oil volumes etc and has very good step-by-step procedures.

Thanks, the forks I'm planning on playing with are f100x. I've taken the plunge and bought some lowers and crush washers, will need to wait for better weather to spray the crown sadly.

Aside from filling with the correct weight oil, is there anything I need to know, do or think about when swapping the lowers over I.e. Judy butter on the seals, or stuff like that?

Cheers

Use a rubber mallet when knocking the bottom of the shafts in to the lowers (with nuts would off a few turns). Saves damaging the shaft threads.

Soak the foam rings in the thick Fox oil for a bit so they're loaded up. I usually put a little bit of fork grease (Judy butter as you say) under the lips of each seal too. They come with a few blobs of grease on as new.

Think that's it, should be a nice easy swap to be honest. If in doubt, consult the Fox website :)

Honestly, could take as little as 15 mins to do I recon. Feel free to drop me a line if you need any help with anything.

It is i swapped white lower on my ibis m to black. Make sure you fikk up using correct oil and more importantky i dud neither abd the forks was jnocking over bomps. Fixed using correct oil and amount.

Keep the alloy nut on as you tap the rods with a soft malket.

Before you fit the new lowers have a look at the bushes right inside them, I've seen a few sets with stanchion wear that had worn lower bushes so running them on a decent set of clean stanchions could cause you issues.

Back