Mech hanger bolt reassembly - advice please!

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For some reason or other I took apart the hanger bolt assembly on my Dura Ace mech. I know how it fits back together but the spring is so tight that for the life of me I can't force the sprung rear plate round far enough clear the lip on the mech, or at least with enough control to then slide the plate down against the back of the mech and install the C-clip. My thumbs are killing me after half an hour of trying this without success! I must have done it at some point before on an XTR mech as I replaced the bolt itself but would love to know if there's a textbook way of reassembling this part. Cheers!

Attachments

• P1000926 (Custom).JPG
    P1000926 (Custom).JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 184
WD Pro":zqca6tvj said:
Two hands, weak fingers, no tools, no scratches ... ;-)

I finished swapping over the rear mech, I couldn't use the Ti pulley as the bearing caps were wider (maybe 7 or 8 speed or something ?), I will need to replace or modify them, shame as they have just been anodised ... :-(

All Ti bolts were spun up in the drill to put a nice brushed finish on them :D

Mech bolt was the swapped in the same way as I did on the Bear Valley :

Although I had changed the bolt to a Ti one on my old 735 I couldn’t remember how I changed it (20 years ago :oops:) and tales on here of them being a pain and needing pliers etc didn’t sit well with me, especially as it would be put back together after being polished up ... :? Well a bit of thinking and it was actually quite easy using a long bolt screwed into the angle of dangle hole :

DSC05972.jpg

So you can twist it quite easily and hold it down all with one hand :

DSC05971.jpg

WD :D

Thanks fellas, all done. After reading the first link I had a go with a set of pliers - still plenty fiddly enough but the fact it wasn't killing my poor thumbs meant I could control the sprung plate enough to get it in the right place long enough to get the circlip on. I like the homemade option too though!

Latest posts

Back