Replacing the shock on a 2002 Ellsworth Joker

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This bike has been my first foray into the world of full suspension. I've really been enjoying but I think the shock has reached an age where it needs replacing. The bike has 6" of rear travel and uses a Romic D shock with coil. Can anyone recommend a good repacement or advise me on how to measure the existing shock so I can search one out?

I picked the frame up fairly cheap so I'm not too keen to spend loads on a shock. I am happy to buy a new one but if anyone can point me toward the lower priced alternatives I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Rich

ive got a joker cheap also

think they run 190mm shocks on them im goin to look at fitting one of my spare air shocks onto it

The two key measurements are eye to eye (middle of the bolt to middle of the bolt) and the stroke (length of the shaft that moves as the shock compresses).

The Romic shocks used to have a really good reputation. I think Stendec can / will service them. It'll be around £90 and may be less risky than buying a second hand shock that may also need servicing. I normally send my shocks off once a year to keep them happy.

With regards to replacements, you should be able to find something like a Fox Vanilla shock pretty cheap or maybe even a DHX. You'll likely get something a bit older if you want a coil because modern bikes are using longer shocks because they contain more oil so can deal with heat better.

Thanks folks. The shock was a touch squishy - fine downhill but a bit soggy on the ups. I sold the frame to Dansim on this very forum who knows more about these things than me and has been eyeing up a replacement fox shock to get rid of the pedal bob.

Still, I reckon this suspension thing could catch on. For my second full susser I bought myself a NOS 2009 Pace RC506 and it's a monster both up and down the hills. Not as pretty as the joker though - and the new Pace decals are horrid.

Back